Hello, glad to have found you!

Body: 

I have been reading these posts for about two months now after searching the web trying to find out what the heck was wrong with me. I have had four vaginal births in the last 7 years (hospitialized, flat on my back, epidural, episiotomy) and have diagnosed myself with a moderate rectocele. I am very glad that there is a place I can go for emotional support and have since found out that I am pregnant again. Of course I am very concerned about my rectocele getting worse. I am planning a home water birth with a midwife this time and let my body (not the doctors) tell me how to deliver. I was so frustrated with my last two hospital deliveries that I am very soured on the obgyn situation! I just laid there thinking "how can I push effectively like this, I need to stand up, squat down, something!" They were telling me to push when I didn't feel like it, and not push when I did! I wish I would have spoken up, but in a clinical setting like that you feel so intimidated and invisible. No wonder I had to be cut, I was not in the right position to push without destroying my pelvic floor! It gives me great comfort to know that there is support out there and I look forward to being a part of this journey with you ladies. I thank God that I found this site.

Welcome to the forum - glad you found us too (:

Everyone here is very supportive, so don't hesitate when you need some hand-holding - as I have. I too suffered damage as a result of being cut (2 vag. births w/episiotomies) and now, at 46 I'm dealing with the consequences (cystocele and rectal prolapse) and like you, I'm a bit soured on the whole medical/clinical scene.
I wish you well during your pregnancy - there are lots of pregnant women who post here, so I know you'll be in good company...

Jean

I have had 3 vaginal births flat on my back - 1 x Forceps 2 x Epis 1 x tear

I can tell you the posture REALLY works - Mainly cos on Saturday I was out walking ALOT - I felt it for the first time in ages. I sat down. Checked myself posture wise - reinstated the posture into a better posture for me - And then carried on - And it was gone again...

So I would do everything you feel is right for you - YOU are the one that matters here!

I would love to be able to follow you on your journey to and after Birth - I think this forum needs a diary site where we can host pics of our kids - Mainly cos the friendships made on here can last a lifetime and be of such importance to have someone stood by your side (emotionally) To hold your hand while your life journey goes on :)

Good luck - We are all here for you
Sue

hi bigmomma
welcome and congrats on the pg! what I found most helpful for my rectocele was watching my diet carefully to ensure that I do not ever get constipated. now I dont' even notice it most of the time. I'm pg too, and I usually get constipated when pg so I'm extra careful now and so far so good.
how far along are you?

Good Morning!:) I am so glad to have a place to get info and to vent! I am about 9 weeks along and you? I already have 4 kids under the age of 7 so I feel that I have not really had a break between prgs and breast feeding. I also have been watching my diet like a hawk and it seems to help quite a bit, but since I have only recently found out what was wrong with me I am still a little horrified as I had never heard of it! I am honestly hoping another vag delivery will not make it worse. I am really hoping not to go the surg route and hope to manage this with posture, diet and exercise. I also usu get const. with my prgs , but I have been a fiber junkie lately, so I really haven't had any, just the PRESSURE!

you are a bit ahead of me, I estimate I am about 6 weeks along. I have been bf and/or pg for the last 8 years or so (my oldest is 7) and I don't even know what a break would feel like.

you have plenty of time to learn more about prolapse, to mourn, to come to terms with it before you go into labor. my hope is that like Jane (fullofgrace) I will let my body guide me during labor and not even think about the prolapse.

I have a slight advantage over you in that I found my prolapse before getting pg so I already have begun integrating it into my life and I have already seen results from this work. you will have to believe us that you can stabilize if not somewhat reverse , your prolapse with diet, posture, breathing and exercise. at this point I am confident that whatever happens as a result of this pg and labor/delivery, I will be ok. and so will you!

Hello,

Well I am now almost out of the first trimester and have been feeling not so great rectocele wise. My diet seems to be okay, are you doing Kegels or something else for your prolapse..which do you have? For some reason, the kegels seem to make mine feel worse, so I am back to just the posture, which does seem to help. I did mention this to my midwives, the say, Kegel, Kegel, Kegel. Do you have any suggestions?

I am so glad to have some hand holding, I sure need it, I have just gotton over a few weeks of feeling sorry for myself:...I'll blame the preg. hormones! If you have any suggestions, things that have worked for you, I would love any input.

Hello,
Thanks so much for your respose, I'm glad to be here!
I went walking for a LONG time a couple of weeks ago and hadn't felt that good for ages. My midwives are chanting Kegel, but I almost think that makes it (rectocele) worse. What have you experienced with Kegels?

I am glad you have found us! I'm sorry to hear that your last births were such bad experiences - that's terrible. I also have a rectocele, but only one child, and am working on trying to reverse or at least stabilize it because I think I would like to try to have another. And, I too think of the question of whether pregnancy and birth will cause worse problems. But, I've been doing lots of reading, and although that happens sometimes, lots of women have one or even more births and go back to where they were before pregnancy. I guess you just have to take the best care possible and leave the rest up to God. So, I will be cheering you and Granolamom on in your pregnancies, and hopefully learning some things that will help me later if and when I decide to add a little brother or sister to the family. And regarding kegels, I learned some interesting things at physical therapy that I'm going to post in a different topic you might want to read. Bottom line, if they feel wrong, they probably are. You might want to ask if the midwife or a P.T. can check your pelvic floor muscles to see if they are strong or weak, and if they are strong, you wouldn't need them as much as if they were weak - just a thought. Take care, Glor

I have a definite cystocele (finally officially diagnosed by my wonderful mw), small rectocele and I suspect the beginnings of a prolapsed uterus as well. it definitely moves around, thats for sure.

I am doing a few kegels mostly in a ring-sitting/WW posture or on hand and knees. feels right that way.
I am eating awfully these days. I eat what stays down, but luckily that includes oranges and granny smith apples so I'm still nice and regular.

rectocele hardly is noticeable. uterus seems fine. cystocele is no worse than a bad pms day and honestly most days I don't even think about it. can you believe? I don't even think about it.

my posture is not great, seems when I'm feeling queasy I want to hunch over. this too shall pass.

all in all, prolapse-wise, I am feeling pretty good.

Hi bigmomma

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am not pregnant right now but did get a rectocele after one birth. I just wanted to tell you that I stopped doing kegels also because it seemed to make my rectocele feel worse. I say you should listen to your body and do what you feel is right even if they say kegel over and over. It is wonderful that you have other expectant moms to compare with and get support. I hope you have a H and H pregnancy.

Hello to you:)

I noticed one of your earlier posts and really felt for you! I know how maddening it can be when you are having bad days or weeks or months! I didn't start having noticable trouble with my rectocele until well after (10 months or so) the birth of my fourth child. I was always told that my uterus was prolapsing and retroverted, but it never really bothered me until the last several months. I had a TERRIBLE time with the pressure during my first trimester during this pregnancy, so I spend most of the time sulking about it, and then after a solid 2 weeks of Kegeling like crazy (with that making everything worse) , I decided to try walking every day and concentrating on the posture. I can say that things are MUCH better now. I still have not so good days, but every day doesn't feel AWFUL anymore. I know that walking seems like the last thing you want to do, and it won't happen overnight, but try walking for a week or so, (I try to get in 20-30 min a day) and see if that helps. I have totally abandoned the Kegels for the time being and I am doing what feels right. I do not know what will happen after this birth, I just try to take it day by day.