Something went wrong...

Body: 

I meant to post this yesterday, but just as I clicked send my connection died:

---------------------
I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a forum where a medical professional answers questions? You see my Mother recently had a Sacrocolpopexy 6 months after having a partial hystorectomy (the womb), and today she went for her first after care checkup since the operation. The doctor said everything was fine (this wasn't the doctor who did her surgery, but one of the doctors on his medical team) and that she'd healed well.

However while the doctor was doing her examination she found a couple of stitches that hadn't dissolved, said it was a bit strange and removed them. While doing this she was a bit rough which caused my Mother to spot and feel a release of pressure from inside. A few hours later my Mother felt that 'pulling down' feeling, something she hadn't felt since before the operation. She then checked herself only to realise that a small ball of flesh was hanging down again.

The problem here is (other than the obvious one!) that when my Mother had her Sacrocolpopexy rather than using a small screw to secure the mesh to her sacrom, they used a couple of stitches to reduce the risk of infection as she has diabetes type 2. Is it possible that this doctor cut the perminent stitches (all the others used were dissolvable) that held everything in place? It's too much of a coincidence otherwise.
-------------------------------

So, now it's the day after I wrote this. Today I went with my Mother to our GP and told him what had happened. He then made a phone call to his wife (who he said was a consultant gynecologist and does these type of surgeries all the time) in front of us and asked for her opinion. She then told him that my Mother did have cause for worry. From there he told her to keep calm and that he'd be in immediate contact with the doctor who did my Mother's Sacrocolpopexy (We'll call him Dr X).

A few minutes after we got back home, our GP called us to say he'd managed to get a hold Dr X , who told him he'd like to see her asap. He also went on to say that Dr X had told him it was unlikely that the female gynecologist my Mother had seen had cut all the stitches that were holding the mesh in place as 6 were used in total. This would also explain why my Mother is currently only feeling a partial prolapse and not the full one she had before.

Now my question is, since someone has obviously done her wrong what steps should be taken from here? I know we'll need some kind of legal advice, but where to start? What would you do in her situation? This silly gynecologist has just caused my Mother to need her third operation. She's already gone through enough with the previous two. It infuriates me.

This sounds like a very complex situation - I certainly cannot offer any advice, but you might check out the HERS Foundtion (www.hersfoundation.com). They might be able to point you in the right direction for further medical and legal help.
My best wishes for your mother's healing and a return to health.

J.

Dr. Murphy is a urogyn in Canada. He oversees the forum and MAY reply directly if u ask your question. It's worth a try to just gain some insight on her condition and what to do next. Hope your mom is doing better.