Thank you, Christine!

Body: 

This is a personal message to Christine, but also to other women who are just now finding this Wise Woman. I realize Christine might not see this right away, and that you might not be able to respond.

I have been in chronic pain almost daily for nearly two years after having Giardia, a gut infection, on top of rectocele and cystocele. I was really sick for a few months before being diagnosed with the Giardia, and got weaker and weaker. Shortly after that, I got pregnant with my fourth baby. Note I have had no additional pelvic surgery aside from one episiotomy and tearing on the episiotomy scar with each additional baby.

I have been to many docs. None of them could figure out the pain, which was low abdominal/low back pain after bowel movements. I found this website, and the posture information while researching, and within a few days of making posture corrections, the pain is mostly gone, AND my rectocele and cystocele have both gone from Grade 2 to Grade 1. I know this, as I have been seeing a wonderful and, I think, intuitive, physical therapist (Jodi) who did evaluations before and after I discovered my new posture. I did do some physical therapy (usually just once a week for an hour), but not enough to make a dramatic difference, in my opinion. I had been exercising, going to Pilates, doing so many different things that weren't working.

My new posture feels good. It feels like energy whirling around in me.

Is every day perfect? No. I still have occasional back pain, but it isn't daily anymore. Is my posture perfect yet? No.

Thank you Christine for helping us find the information to take care of ourselves. I really do appreciate it.

With many sincere thanks,
Tracy

I'm very happy for you, and glad the posture and pt is helping. I've been working on the posture, too, but still waiting to see results. I think it will help in the long run. I'm also going to start pt soon. But it is just so wonderful to hear someone feeling so much better! Continue to take care, Glor

Dear Tracy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to thank me and to tell us your story. This is lifetime work and you will be all the better for it as you age. I believe the damage from episiotomy is cumulative – not only in number of lacerations, but also in the way they weaken and wear away the perineal body as we age. This happens slowly over time and is counteracted by moving the weight over the pubic bone during standing and sitting. Otherwise, we become very prone to severe rectocele. Once in a great while an episiotomy is necessary, but it is time to rally all childbirth attendants to wake up to the reality of the long term effects of maternal injury and treat that area accordingly.

Gratefully,

Christine

Would you say that an episiotomy is just as bad as a tear in labour?

I was given 2 epi's (One neded for forceps - one I think prolly not needed) Then in last labour I tore - I am wondering what difference it makes to the future?

Sue

This is an age-old argument, which I find pretty ridiculous. So they make a cut to prevent a tear...hm-m-m. Cuts often keep extending so the end result is worse than an initial tear might've been. It's impossible to know after the fact, that's why the practice has enjoyed such longevity. Midwives who make it a priority to avoid the procedure are usually able to, however. Severe tears in a naturally birthing woman are rare.

As far as which causes more damage, I think the trauma of metal scissors destroying the nerves and tissues along their full width (i.e. the entire swath the scissors touch is clamped and cut and destroyed) is worse than the natural pulling apart of fibers.

I really wonder If i tore right beside the previous episiotomies - Cos of scar tissue and stuff. They just seem to think we are birthing cows hese days and want us in and out as fast as poss...

Guess we may never find out what would be better to tear naturally or to just be slashed up (I do remember sitting down on the tear was more comfortable) lol

Sue

So true...by the way, you are too funny :-))))

lol - I am just a tad mad in my opinion lollllll
I called my hernia surgery my 'Slash n dash' cos I was in and out with a 5 inch scar and no real aftercare in less than two days...

Had a big bleed too cos I told them i hafta have walls around me to pee not on a commode in the cubicle so eventually they gave up and let me go - lollllll

Alls well that ends well eh...

I think they all get a bit knife happy :)

Sue

Dear Sue and all

Isn't is great when we can laugh at ourselves? Feeling sad and angry never really got anybody anywhere, but I think we have all come through that sadness etc to get to where we are.

Cheers

Louise