cystocele prolapse

Body: 

hi to everyone , this is a great site . just wanted to know if any one here had got pregnant and delivered a baby with a cystocele , i would really love to have another baby but i am so scared of what will happen regards to the prolapse , it has only been diagnosed as a mild one , just wish some one could put my mind at rest , i am 42 and have 4 children 23,19,16,and 2. all my births were great no complications totally natural deliverys , no pain relief or anything , my 2 year old was rather large wieghing in at 8pound 10 . but all went fine . can anyone help .

I dont think it would be a problem - My Gynae told me if he 'looked at the underparticles' of all Mothers - 90% of them would have some sort of mild prolapse. I believe I had my prolapse from my first birth which was traumatic.

I think if you are told yours is just mild then there should be no worries as a mild one is a long long way from severe :)

My Gynae told me I could have another (My 4th) If I chose to and mine was a grade 2 (At introitis) then - We decided to not maily because of our age etc and my health on other matters) But at grade 2 he said to me the damage is done and another birth if normal and non invasive should not change anything - Through the work on this site I have changed from a grade 2 to a grade 1 :) So things are much better with the posture.

Hope that helps even just a tiny bit :)

Sue

hi sue , thanks so much its so good to hear that , everyone always seems so vaig ,it makes me feel i little more posotive about it ,finding this site has been a god send to me i have yet to read about this posture stuff , do you think that would help as well , i will give it a go if so . once again thankyou so much for your reply . :)

mandy.

Yes, I think that the posture would help a lot for you. You can find pointers on how to do it in the FAQ on the home page. There's also the book and video. I can understand your feelings, because I have recently developed a rectocele and cystocele (don't know what grade) and was also a bit apprehensive about having another child. Gyn. said it should be okay, but she was so breif about everything, I wanted a second opinion. I am currently seeing a physical therapist, and she also said that if I am careful about my posture and all the other ways to take care of myself (avoid constipation, no heavy lifting) that another baby shouldn't do any harm. I think that the reason that people are vague when discussing this is that every woman is different and there are no guarantees - for instance if the birth is difficult for some reason. I do believe there are some women here at the site who have done fine after having another baby - hopefully they will chime in here. You might have to dig through some old posts for more info. But, I wish you the best of luck and health in whatever you decide to do! God Bless, Glor

hi thanks for your reply , i forgot to mention one of our doctors has reffered me to see a physio to see if she can help , i dont really know what to expect, things been a bit tuff latley ,had to have a loop biopsy done back in august , so what with that then the prolapse , the doctor that did the loop didnt even mention the mild prolapse , which my doctor said was a posotive sign , as he didnt think it was serious enough to mention , i think i will have to wait to see this physio for about 6 weeks , seems like ages , being 42 i dont feel time is on my side from the feed back im getting from doctors ect .are you planning another baby then , if so i wish you well and hope every thing goes well , its great to speak to people on here your all so posotive its great , what a refreshing change , thanks again you have been a great help :)

mandy

hi mandy
I have a cystocele and I'm pg with our fourth. so far so good. I am feeling optimistic about birthing naturally with my prolapse. I def. recommend reading up on the posture. try it a while and you might start to feel more comfortable having another baby. no one knows your body's absolute limits but once you start to learn about your prolapse and how it responds to different things you'll know about as much as anyone could.

sorry so short, but I need to start packing, we are going to visit the inlaws in Israel, leaving tomorrow and I haven't done a thing.

Hi,
thanks for your reply , its very encourageing to here your pregnant, how far along are you , you say things are going well thats great.i an going to read up on this posture stuff ,and then give it a go , also im going to read more about the cystocele , as a alot of the ladies on this site are giving the same kind of advice, so here goes . i wish you well on your trip to israel, sounds great .once again thankyou for your posotive thoughts . mandy

Hi friends, I decided to make the big step! I got fitted for the pessary today! Who was it that tied a string on hers to pull it out for the night? And what kind of string do you use? It's got to be sterile, right? I'll get mine in a week or two. Yes, I'll keep you posted! I think the bronchitis I've had for a month contributed to the fall of the "You know"!!!
Anyway the gyno said if this doesn't work, there is another surgery, not as radical as a hysterectomy, that literally sews up the vagina so nothing can fall through. Since my husband can't be sexually active anymore, this wouldn't be a problem for me, but I want to learn more about this and what is Christine's view on it! And any others who know about this? I am curious! Nancy

Hi, BaNa48, I might be the person who mentioned the string to put on a pessary for easier removal. I used just regular string for about a week and when I went to the urogyn for a pessary check he said not to use that anymore because it could cause an infection. He told me to use fishing line. It sounds yukky but it works okay. He said it wouldn't cause the infection that string would cause. It's very strong, 50 pound test. I got a thing that had 150 yards and costs two something at Wal-Mart. If I were you I would talk to your doctor about what he would suggest, though. He might recommend something different. Good luck on getting your pessary. Mine is small and works very well. After the pessary fit, I had one more appointment for a pessary check to make sure it was working for me and I could take it out and put it in, and he released me until I'm ready for surgery, as he put it, or until any other problem that I need to see him for. I already told him I wasn't interested in surgery but he has to mention it because that's his mindset.
Please let us know how you are doing with the pessary, et cetera. Wishing you the best.
Hugs, Carrie

Dear Nancy,

I’m so sorry you’re having such a rough time. I’m remembering that the presenting part in your case is your cervix - right? It is with me, too, and I can tell you that over the years these conditions can wax and wane depending on what’s going on with the rest of us. If I had to make a guess, I’d say the stress of dealing with your daughter’s fiasco may have a lot to do with your current relapse.

Look up “colpocleisis” in the glossary either in the book or here in the Resources section of the home page. It's not a matter of just stitching the labia closed, but rather closing the genital hiatus, or split in the pelvic floor musculature. Nancy, if there were a good surgical solution I would take it myself. But truly, there is a great sense of accomplishment and gratitude when I can run all the way to the top of a grassy hill and feel better for it, not worse. In her recent “checking in” post, our member Marie described it so beautifully it brought tears. Having all our “faculties” commonly refers to our mental being, but having all our physical faculties is just as important whether we are young or old.

Hugs,

Christine

I hope I got that spelled right!
Anyway, I really appreciate your input here, Christine!
I am really not considering any surgery at all, but I was just curious! I honestly believe God gave us all of these parts for a reason, and even my Mom had all of them when she passed away in Nov. She had her health and enjoyed everything! I am hoping that the pessary will help, but don't want to depend on this forever. I am still doing excercises! Just like my face jowls that were never there before, I do understand the gravity thing, and unless I want to spend the rest of my life on upside down, there is nothing we can do for that, right? I was reluctant to go to this new doctor,(mine retired), but I'm glad I did! She was very comforting and understanding, but still business like! I am surviving well with the new job, (it's been a year now). I do have bad days, but what I hate the most is when I fall off the diet wagon and get constipated almost immediately! Then it takes a week to get that problem straightened out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for so much, Nancy

Hello Carman,

I went through my second pregnancy with a stage 2 prolapse which is now stage 4. Things were actually better pregnant than not. Maybe the lateral pressure of the developing fetus on the bladder kept things more together. Once I had delivered, though, the floor completely dropped. I hope that this doesn't happen to you. My ob/gyn recommends surgery since the pessary is not "solving" the situation. She said that I am the worst case that she has ever seen, so please don't expect the things to go as badly for you as they have for me..

I'm sorry that things have gone so badly for you with regard to your prolapse. I sincerely hope that you will try the posture, fire breathing, etc. promoted here before making a decision about surgery.
I wish you better days to come!
J.

Thanks Janice,

I must say that I am now completely scared out of my mind. I found this website while I was reserching the procedure that my surgeon is proposing. I will certainly question her more thoroughly before undergoing surgery.

Nancy, it's so important to get your bowels moving regularly - not just to improve your prolapse symptoms, but to stave off so many more serious conditions. Doctors used to believe that all disease began in the gut and I certainly agree. Try this...

Christine's Oatmeal:

3/4 cup thick-cut, organic oats
1 1/2 cups water

Bring to boil in saucepan and cook for five minutes with lid slightly ajar. Turn off heat and cover with lid. Let steam three minutes.

Place in bowl and add:

2 tbs. flax seed, freshly ground (grind in electric coffee mill)
1/4 cup fresh, shelled walnuts (if you have no allergy to them)
1 tbs. raw, unfiltered honey
1 granny smith apple peeled and cubed.

SO YUMMY!! This will work!

:-) Christine

hi everyone , well went to physiotherapy today and all went brilliant , im so pleased,the lady said all my internal muscles were absolutley fine and the cystocele was so mild it was hardly there , also she told me it had probably happened afer my first baby 22years ago , i feel so daft i have been so worried about having another baby,as i thought it would cause a real problem,but she said if i do a couple of months or so excersise i would be absolutly fine,the only thing i dont have in my favour is my age.42 isnt that old to be having a baby surley.i also wanted to thank all you ladies for your support and and help,on this matter you have been a godsend i have learnt so much.its not always as bad as some doctors and nurses make it sound to have a cystocele.im so glad i went to see someone else about it.thankyou again. mandy :)

Hi carman

Good news eh? I think you have just made an essential discovery. It is a little bit like the face cream ads on tele where good looking mid-40's women talk about fighting the look of ageing skin, and how ageing appearance is the enemy. Get a life!!

If a doctor tells us something is bad, and 'needs' fixing surgically the temptation is to believe them. Yes, there are some women who experience serious and sudden prolapse which changes their lives drastically. But often it is not that serious, and needs to be seen as not that serious. We need to decide for ourselves whether our bodies are in serious trouble, and not treat every medical diagnosis like an episode out of a medical drama on TV. How much worry (and time, energy and money) we can save? Just by seeing our bodies as they really are, and adapting as we can, and getting on with our lives.

All the best.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Carmen,

I am glad you have had such good news! I have also had some conflicting opinions of my own prolapse. I saw one OB who completely minimised my prolapse describing it as "very mild," while her own nurse practitioner described it as "everything falling down," and asked me when I was getting repairs done? (Mind you that was two weeks after my last delivery and things have definitely improved since then!) It has been frustrating for me to hear the differences in opinion of different health professionals, but I have now come to consider it as mild also, and nothing too much to worry about at this point. (Never thought I would get there!)

I too dream of having another baby but have been worried about my age, just 38, and how it would affect the prolapse. I would be delighted to hear of your journey as you get pregnant and deliver. It will inspire me, and I am sure others no end. It is so great to hear of other women journeying through pregnancy with such grace. (Thanks Granolamom and Nicola!!)

Please keep in touch!

Hugs,

Michelle.