Sea Sponge

Body: 

I am looking into using a sea sponge for some gentle extra support for my bladder leading up to my menstrual cycle and maybe during exercise. Tothose of you who are using the sea sponge, I would appreciate your advice tremendously.

Do you find it scratchy/irritating? Do you use a jelly or cream with it?
Do you use it every day? If so, how often do you remove it to clean it?
Since it's not "sterile" do you worry about infection, or have you gotten an infection from it?
Does it help support your bladder during exercise?

Thank you so much in advance. I'm trying to avoid using a pessary. The hard plactic nature of it doesn't seem "right" to me.

ann

Hi Ann,

I tried posting twice, only to have my comments wiped out so sorry!! I have been using the sea sponges for awhile now. I have had great success using them, however, I have encountered some problems. First off, I want to answer your questions. 1) I don't find them scratchy for the most part. However, if I did, I would use a K-Y or other water soluable jelly with the sponge. I wouldn't use any oil for fear it would hold the germs in the sponge. Plus, it would be hard to clean that way since water and oil doesn't mix. 2) I use the sponge every day and all day long while on my feet, as my cystocele (bladder prolapse) is quite low these days. It offers me great support and comfort during exercise and at other times. And I couldn't agree with your more about putting a hard plastic appliance up there. I have also read that some women feel the pessary may negatively impact rectoceles or cause them. 3) No, nothing is sterile, so you must use some safeguards to prevent against infection. I have suffered from recurrent bladder infections, but not for a while now since being ultra careful. Therefore, I would recommend the following: Since you need to be touching yourself when inserting the sponge, always wash your hands with antibacterial soap and water first (even if you think your hands are already clean.) I personally like to also remove the sponge before using the toilet and then rinse & re-insert it afterwards to be sure it stays clean. You can wear it all day this way. Be sure your bladder stays clear of germs by drinking cranberry every day. Each night, I remove the sponge and wash with water and hydrogen peroxide and then let it air dry. During my menstrual cycle, I will soak overnight in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen perioxide and water and then rinse again with water in the morning, squeeze out and insert. Also, I have found it helpful to insert the sponge up and over the pelvic bone in order for it to remain in place. Otherwise, the cystocele will push the sponge down into the vagina, and it could pop out. You can cut the sponge around the perimeter to fit. They come in various sizes, so it's trial and error, but don't cut in half. I hope this is helpful. I think you will be fine if you use these safeguards! Take good care, April

Hi Aprile,

Thanks for all the info. I'll order a sponge and see how it goes. I also get UTIs easily, so I'm not sure if I'll even try this, but your thoughts and suggestions are truly, truly appreciated.

I'm so glad you've found something that's working for you. Keep us all posted on whether the sponge continues to help you.

Have you tried D-Mannose? It's supposedly much more effective than cranberry in cleansing the UT, and I've used it with great success. You just use a daily 1tsp. dose.

Thanks again,
Ann

Good to hear from you, April! I saw you log on a couple of times and wondered why you weren't posting to this thread. I'm not fond of the way the software program works in that you have to click both "preview" and "submit" before your message posts. Anyway, I'm so glad to hear you are over the infections! Do you think I should put back the FAQ on the sponge? C.

Also Ann...the pessary is just something women need to experiement with for themselves as there seem to be no hard and fast rules.

Yes, this seems to be the theme! On the one hand, the pessary is biocompatible and lays flat against the vaginal walls. On the other hand, it creates a "water balloon" effect because it doesn't lie flat against the vaginal walls, and therefore can worsen or cause rectocele. I think the hardest thing about this condition is that the few things (aside from postures, diet and breathing) that can help (pessary and sea sponge) can also cause more issues.

That's why it's been so helpful to get feedback from those of you who are actually using these alternatives. Thank you all!!
Ann

Well…here’s what I think happens in women who can wear them successfully for years. First of all, check this out:

http://www.urology.coloplast.com/bladder-control/bladder-control-caregiv...

Whether a donut, ring, dish or shaatz, the illustrations of how they are supposed to be positioned are all the same and we all try to follow these instructions. However, that pessaries in this position are holding the upper vagina open and also pressing on the rectum is obvious.

Invariably, the pessary will flip vertically, like a plate balanced on its edge, because that is the natural axis of the vagina.

In women with primary prolapse of the anterior wall, a pessary lying sideways like that lifts the bladder slightly and improves comfort considerably. From an anatomical viewpoint, the thinner the pessary the more the vagina can flatten.

However, for those of us with primary prolapse of the central "compartment", the cervix comes down against the rim of the pessary, and if it doesn’t push it right out, is very uncomfortable to wear. Primary prolapse of the posterior wall usually negates pessary use entirely.

I do not believe stretching of tissues is the primary problem when symptoms progress, but rather that the vagina is held open under intraabdominal pressure for the other organs to ooze into and fill the void. The flattened vagina is the primary reason we succeeded in becoming bipedal.

Thank you so much for your informative response, Christine.

I know that every woman's body is different and that there are no absolutes, so I really appreciate the time and energy you put into helping us all with our specific queries. Thank GOD for this site!

What you say below makes perfect sense to me, so what I'll do is check in with the position of the pessary after I've had it in for a while and see what's up (or down).

By the way, I mentioned to my OB that I had read that pessaries can lead to other celes, and she made a weird face, like I was crazy. Then she said (completely casually) "Well you also have slight bulging in the rectocele and cervix, as well." It was as if she wanted to get that in there so that I didn't come back in a few months and tell her that the pessary had caused further damage. Of course, I felt horrible to find out in this abrupt way that I had THREE prolapses instead of just the one. I also wondered when/if she was even going to tell me if I had not mentioned what I'd read about pessaries.

So, this is why I'm so conflicted about the pessary. Your answer helps tremendously. When you say, "but rather that the vagina is held open under intraabdominal pressure for the other organs to ooze into and fill the void" that is exactly what my instincts are warning me about. With the pessary in, I feel like my natural strength and support against intraabdominal pressure is cut off.

I will use it periodically and pay careful attention to the impact it has on my body. I'll keep you posted, too.

A million thanks!

Ann

Hi Christine,

It's so nice to reconnect with everyone!! Yes, I have been infection free for a while now. One of the things I noticed is that if the sponge slips down out of place, it can get wet so that is why I remove it prior to eliminating. It seems to me that since it is very soft and flexible, it is easy to remove, so why not be more careful? I would put it back on the FAQ page because it is one tool that others may want to try, and they will have questions!! I think it's important for women to know they have some options. The best way to clean it is definitely the hydrogen peroxide/water combination. The company suggests the 50/50 overnight soak suggestion themselves on the product information. I suppose the pessary is an option for some and they may not encounter any problem with it whatsoever. However, for those who want something soft and cushy, the sponge is definitely the way to go. They just need to know that there are pitfalls to everything! I hope your WW Center is going well and that you are feeling good! Take good care, April

Does the sponge help the pressure feeling from a rectocele or is it more for bladder prolapse? Anyone have experience using it with a rectocele?