Question for granolamom

Body: 

Hi Granolamom,

I'm curious as to how you came about the name "granolamom". If it has to to with all kinds of recipes regarding granola, I'd like your input on making granola bars without wheat, dairy, soy and sugar. I just made some bars with raisins, coconut, bananas, walnuts, oats and applesauce for my husband, but would like some different flavored ones. I'm not sure how to combine new ingredients, because of moisture content, where they'll stay together and not fall apart. If you have recipes, and would like to, you can email them to me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and blessings,

Grandma Joy

the term 'granola' sometimes interchanged with 'crunchy'(possibly derived from nutty) refers to a natural, wholesome way of living. I came across it when my oldest was a baby and the traditional parenting advice wasn't working for her or feeling right to me. so that's where the name comes from.
I have made granola, I kinda use whatever we have on hand, but the truth is my family prefers the Trader Joes granola so I don't bother much. I have yet to make granola bars that stick together, if you have, I'd love your recipe!
sorry I'm not much help

Hi Granolamom,

This recipe was easy and fast. I used all organic products. 2 cups oats, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 ripe mashed bananas, 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients together in a a large bowl. Press dough in a 9x9 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack, then slice into squares or bars. It only crumbled a little when I cut it, but holds up pretty good when eating it. The big plus? NO preservatives or chemicals!

Happy eating,

Grandma Joy

ahhh mashed bananas, never would've thought to put that in there. I might try adding a bit of maple syrup too.