posture exhausting

Body: 

so I have been trying to use the posture for about ten days- I am feeling pretty tired. So today I took the day off and remained vertical- which felt wonderful but..

1. It seems that my rectocele was worse today after doing nothing
2. does the tiredness go away?
3. while I'm at it does anyone else find it really hard to maintain the posture while taking care of little children?

that's all for now. B

whoops - horizontal- not vertical- sorry

Hi B

Yes, it can be a bit tiring, and even painful, at first. You are training your mind as well as your body to do something that is probably quite different to what it has done up until now. Don't be too hard on yourself. It may take a while to get it right just for your body, which is the only body you live in (!). It is lovely to get horizontal every now and again in those initial stages (any time actually!). You might like to put a little pillow under the small of your back while horizontal (or sleeping) to help your body keep the lumbar curve while horizontal. Do some stretches a few times a day to get the muscles around the pelvis and spine mobile while they are adjusting to a 'new' normal, then resume wholewoman posture again, for as much of the day as you can. Just listen to your body and rest from it when you need to. It is a little like wearing in a new pair of shoes. Eventually you will feel uncomfortable sitting or standing any other way. It's a bit wierd actually. People talk about the dangers of accentuating the lumbar curve. I feel the problem is when there is a big curve in the upper back as well and the chin juts forward. That feels really horrible when you do it.

If you feel you cannot keep the posture for most of the day, just ease off a bit. You may be overdoing the lumbar curve. It is more about imagining being a tall puppet, supported by a string from the crown of your head (a little back from top dead centre, which keeps the chin tucked in slightly and the neck tall), and another from the bottom of your breast bone, that keeps the vertical stomach muscles in slight tension, and straightens out the mid-back part of the spine. Also try to keep your feet pointing straight ahead and your knees unlocked.

Think Lara Croft (even if the visual reality is not quite right), or 1940's screen siren in clinging satin (ditto!). You could also think some other imagery which I won't describe because some women might not feel very comfortable about looking sexual. ;-) It's a whole new world of fantasy that has just opened up for all of us.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers

Louise

I was constantly tired in the beginning too. and my upper body ached. the aching went away after a week or so, the fatigue still comes and goes. I don't know if its related to the posture, the 'celes or (more likely) my fibromyalgia.
for taking care of children, I try to spend alot of time on the floor. How old are yours? Mine are 7,5,3 and want me on the floor alot anyway. I play with them while lying on my side, or sitting cross legged with spine in good alignment, or kneeling at a low table (still easier than standing for some reason) and on all fours (which the 3 yo loves).
I can run after them outside for over an hour on good days, for a short while on so-so days, and on bad days, I've learned to say wait until Daddy gets home to go bike riding!
Its much better than it was at first. The kids have learned not to push when I say I need to sit for a while, and I've learned to rest when I need to.

thank you granolamom
mine are 3 and a half, 2, and 2 months
nursing is killing me- I have to hold him up off my lap to maintian the posture
so I try to lie down most times to feed the baby
but it is impossible to cook, hold the baby, and entertain the other two.(picture julia childs:))
or hold the baby and push the swings
or hold the baby and fill a sippi cup or type
ahhh I could go on and on. so I am trying to put the baby down more- but he's not that into it (picture screaming:))
anyway this is all pretty new to me but the one thing I have done is stopped cleaning so much which is really hard for me. B

a while back when I was new here I asked about nursing too. Christine very wisely suggested that I take 'time off' while nursing. so I stopped worrying about posture and prolapse and enjoyed nursing that much more. my nursling was alot older than yours at the time so that made it easier too (he was around 18 mo).
do you have a baby sling? I don't know how it is to sling a baby while maintaining the posture, but at least it frees up your hands. It was a lifesaver for me.
I have learned to stop cleaning so much too, and its not easy. cleaning is an outlet for me, I enjoy it and have a hard time relaxing when my environment is cluttered.

you said that so well- about cleaning- that is exactly how I feel. I love to clean. as far as the sling- I wore both of my other kids constantly and they loved it- but now I am trying to have less weight on me because I read that might help and my husband wears the baby when he is here. Ugh I don't know, this is such a pain. and doesn't anyone miss getting comfy on the couch? I used to love to snuggle up with my kids on the couch. and when I am in the posture I can't even hold my 2 year old. there just isn't enough room in my lap. I am whining.

hey granolamom- I was reading some old posts and I saw that you had a question about abdominal exercises- what did you end up doing?B

Crikey I can't imagine any health routine or posture that should stop you doing that! I don't know whether Christine would agree with me but I'm sure I've heard her mention that most of the work is done on our feet. You have to think about your quality of life at the end of the day. Just my opinion.

I still cuddle up with the kids, slouching on the couch for books, etc. You can't worry about the posture 24/7 and give up some of the most precious moments life has to offer. I do try to sit on the floor in a good posture when I can, but you have to live a little too, lol

honestly I don't even remember asking about abdominal exercises, but I do know that I haven't done any since finding my prolapse. I find that brisk walking keeps my abs toned, though not flat - which is not what we want anyway