Jogging in water

Body: 

Hi everyone!

I am still struggling with my prolapses and trying to figure out something that will reduce the pressure from my rectocele. I just wanted to share something with you that feels great!
I have been taking my daughter to kinderswim for many weeks and one week we did this activity where we were running in a circle. After that class I felt so good. I didn't feel as much pressure. It was only temporary but worth it! So ever since then I try running in the water while holding her and it always makes me feel good. I don't know what about the water helps. There is a lot of resistance and it is a good workout plus I can run and not feel all my organs jumping around. I haven't even thought of running on land. I also realized after reading some posts about posture that I haven't really been doing it quite right. I noticed that my upper body was leaning a bit forward when I walked. I noticed that I did this when I felt a lot of pressure kind of instinctively so I have forced myself to stand more upright. I figured this out after reading about pushing a stroller and Christine was saying to try maintaining the posture. I realized that I was leaning over so I in fact was putting strain on the pelvic area because of this angle. Anyway I just wanted to share my small accomplishment and hope that it helps me feel better and maybe someone else out there will benefit. Thanks so much for all your support. I can't wait for the day that I can say I am managing the symptoms wonderfully!

Hi Mommynow

Good on you. I think pelvic organs must just be less dense than water. I find the same thing while I am in my spa.

Re posture. Have a look at the variations in human proportions, and even the way our weight is distributed, especially with women who have large breasts. Of course we will all be most comfortable prolapse-wise with slightly different versions of Wholewoman posture. I think we need to stick to the basic principles only, ie don't tuck your butt in. Suspend your body from two imaginary strings, one from the crown of the head which keeps the neck straight and chin tucked slightly, and another from the base of the breastbone which keeps the mid-back straight, lungs full, rectus abdominus stretched and gives an accentuated and wide lumbar curve, either sitting or standing. Beyond that, it is what feels best for your individual body.

I have found it useful to imagine my pelvis and spine and their muscles as a construction crane, rather than as a pile of blocks. That way my crane waves all round the place doing its daily work, and strengthening all those muscles as it works, rather than by relaxing by balancing over the pelvis. Another useful analogy is the neck of a crane (feathered variety). As it walks and stands it doesn't balance its head on a vertical pole. It is in a defined S- shape, and 'undulates' gracefully as it walks, reducing jarring and keeping its eyes steady for seeing food.

Whether or not you lean forward, or your butt sticks out is immaterial. Your body and your prolapses will tell you if you are doing it right. The exception to this is when you are first learning to stand correctly and all your muscles need to learn to do new things. Then you just ease up a bit, and adjust more slowly. I am still adjusting 14 months down the track, and feeling better all the time.

Cheers

Louise