Too late???

Body: 

Hi all,

I had my baby 20 months ago. My little boy got stuck so i was taken into surgery for an assisted delivery (forceps and episiotomy (sp?)) My baby was pulled out with more force than i can describe. At 3 months pp i remember a feeling of something slipping but i started doing kegels and this stopped. Anyway on examining myself now my cervix seems very low. So i think i have a mild uterine prolapse my doctor doesn't seem too concerned but i wonder could i have rectified this earlier if i'd been aware of it?

We hope to start trying for baby no 2 in the next few months.

All the best
Pip

Hi Pip and welcome.

I’m sorry you had to experience such a rough birth. There’s been so much L&D research and experience accomplished (particularly in the area of obstructed labor) by such notables as Gaskin and Odent, that it is truly tragic society is not incorporating these important concepts into our systems of medicine. Birth-injured women comprise a huge segment of the population receiving ongoing medical care and at some point the question must be asked, Is the medical system creating its own annuity at the expense of healthy women? I’m not asking these questions of you and do not mean to burden you further – just having a reflective moment.

The bottom line is the sooner we can respond to these conditions, the better, but there is no better time to respond than the present. We’re all working where we’re at with what we have.

It’s all about pulling your organs back over your pubic bones, which we do with posture, exercise, and firebreathing. It’s all in the book, Saving the Whole Woman, which you can find at www.wholewomanstore.com. If you can’t or don’t wish to order the book, there is a wealth of info in the FAQs and here on the forums.

Your story is very familiar to us all at this point and the best advice I can give is to join us in doing this work!

Wishing you well,

Christine

hi,

You mention firebreathing? where in the book is this i can't find it, i have the yellow book. Also do the techniques recommended just provide a way with living with prolapse or is there any success with healing or improving prolapse? i've always had bad posture so maybe this will make me hold myself better, but i live in hope i won't spend the next part of my life obsessed with my bits!

thanks
pip

Hi Pip...the firebreathing came after the first edition, but a thorough explanation is contained in the second (blue book). I know, nobody wants to be obsessed with their bits, but in the long run you may be healthier for having worked with and through your condition. xC.

Hi Pip

No, it's not just learning to live with it. It is a little like carrying your toddler on your hip, rather than holding her out in front of you. It is about using your body's natural structure to keep your organs inside you. It works, but you have to make WW posture your new posture 24/7, or close to it. This may be difficult for you and progress may be slow. You may experience setbacks on the way, but that's all they are. You will get real improvement in your symptoms, to the point where you don't have to be obsessed with your bits any more. You will still have your prolapses but the organs will be supported on your solid pubic bone, like a baby on your hip, so you don't have to hold them in with your pelvic floor muscles all the time.

WW posture is not an extreme posture, but a truly relaxed posture where no muscles (especially not tummy muscles) are in tension in relaxed sitting or standing posture. It is a new balance, if you like, that celebrates your femaleness.

The more you do WW posture the sooner your brain will adapt to it and the sooner your body will maintain it easily. Just start it, accept setbacks (two steps forward, one step back) and slowly your body will get it.

I used to think I had really good posture, nice tucked tummy and butt, POP and lots of pain in my lower back and around my pelvic bones. No longer. I now have more of a butt and a belly that sits lower, but not out further. I have amended my trousers and skirts so they allow my belly to be unrestrained (I an now truly a loose woman! ;-)). My diet is high in wholefoods, so I get plenty of fibre. I drink lots of water which keeps my bowel contents high in water. I use chairs as stools, ignoring the back, etc. My cervix is now higher than it has been in years, my rectocele hardly bothers me, and I can only rarely feel my cystocele at my vulva. I have been doing this for over four years now.

You can make this work for you.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks you for your comments i'm at the beginning where somedays i think this is managable and others i'm a bit depressed by it all!

By becoming aware of a prolapse with no symptoms (just low cervix) i seem to have made it symptomatic, i think it has worsened from me desperately trying to strengthen the area with kegels which pulled on my stomach also, which i have now stopped! But trying some of the exercises from the book i have also felt it could actually be doing some harm, my query is can it become worse before better??? My problems is i haven't excercised over the years so i am not so supple and maybe if i start the excercises then my body will get better as it gets used to the movement?

Also now i think about lifting correctly i think i'm making everything worse, my toddler is 25lb+ and i'm only 5'1" he's already half the size of me, i can't not lift him!

Also i would be interested to hear any stories from those who have gone on to have pregnancies after diagnosis of a uterine prolapse?

thanks
pip

p.s reading the posts here helps! i am trying to make the adjustments into my life such as eating fruit over biscuits, but i am selling it to myself that subtle adjustments should help if i just start to live a bit healthier, adopt the posture, but i'm not sure how i will manage to ditch the jeans it's all i ever wear and that fits!

Hi Pip,

Type "getting worse" into the search box to the left and you will see you are in good company. Many women experience this phenomenon, which we explain as a natural "settling" of the pelvic interior. I know it's difficult to deal with at first, but you will see that the front and back vaginal walls continue to support each other well, even when greatly prolapsed. Please keep practicing the posture, for this is what draws up the vaginal vault - and with it the other organs.

Christine

hi,

is there any other way to get hold of the exercises? i have the correct book on order, but it is taking an eternity to arrive from a uk bookstore, it seems quite hard to get hold of in the UK.

i have adopted the posture and keep reading posts to try and pick up any tips, but as far as the exercises go i can't find enough on the website to dare to do anything yet. i worry i have worsened things by kegeling, i felt a tearing pain in my stomach(like stretching pains in pregnancy) and things seem to have descended further since. May be ignorance is bliss and i would have been better not agravating something i was unaware of?!?!? then again if my muscles are so shot they would have probably gone in their own time anyway!

my only hope now is that i can strengthen things enough that i will emerge from a 2nd pregnancy in a better state?

thanks again!
pip

hi there pip
type nauli into the search box. that's a good one to start figuring out (warning: it took me ages to get it, so don't get discouraged)
and until you get the book, really concentrate on the posture, and maybe some stretching of your hamstrings if you're at all tight. tight hamstrings make it tough to keep your pelvis rotated forward.