Really Low Cervix 13 weeks pregnant

Body: 

I was just hoping some of you could share your experiences with second pregnancy after prolapse. I discovered I had a cystocele and prolapsed uterus one year after giving birth to my daughter (she is now almost 3). She was born naturally, but I did have an episiotomy which took a long time to heal. With physical therapy my symptoms were practically gone except a few days a month I could feel my cervix, probably coinciding with my cycle somehow.

I'm currently 13 weeks pregnant with my second baby and my cervix is so low! As you all know its cumbersome and uncomfortable and I don't feel like I can find much information on the subject. When will it rise up? Will it get worse i the coming weeks as the baby grows?

I'm going in to see my midwives this week, but I wanted to also post here to see what others mamas have experienced.

Thank you!

Katie G.

Hi Katie

I am not the current expert on this, but want to reassure you that your uterus will rise out of your pelvic cavity when it is ready, if you let it. This means relaxing your lower abdomen so that your uterus can move up and forwards, and be supported more by the pubic bone, rather than hanging over the abyss.

You can help it along with simple inversion-type manoeuvres like doing slow, deep bends forwards from the hips with feet astride and knees flexed slightly, and just hang, relaxed for a few seconds. This allows your belly to go between your thighs. This will allow gravity to coax your uterus 'up', ie towards your head, and make more space for your uterus to move into. Then, as you rise into Wholewoman posture, try to allow your lower belly to remain relaxed, so your uterus and bladder can stay forward. Sometimes the uterus kind of gets jammed down there by the intestines and the bladder pressing sideways on it, rather than being underneath it. All the pelvic organs are like bags of sloppy jelly that will just stay where they fall unless you give them the chance to rearrange themselves properly. I can assure you that it will get more comfortable once your uterus is bigger and out the front more. You are probably just at that awkward, in between stage.

Cheers

Louise

I too suffered prolapse with my second pregnancy (my daughter is just 4 months). I can only share my experience with primary urethrocele/cystocele. I noticed it at 17 weeks, and yes, things got worse til' around 21 weeks, and then better. I didn't feel really heavy and bulgy again until the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. Look into supports. I used the V2 supporter, and si jt compression belt, and my life saver, the "prenatal cradle plus). They weren't pretty, but they helped me maintain function, and I was able to work til 5 weeks before my due date, although I was still quite limited. I went on to have a natural birth, and now at 4 months pp, my prolapse is feeling better (although it is still there). Good luck, and read old posts by granolamom, alemama, and I think phoebe9 is just going through this right along with you. Good luck and keep us posted!

hi katie
I'm about 16 weeks pg. my cervix was quite low in the beginning too, but I definitely felt a HUGE difference within the last week or two. can really feel my uterus under my belly button if I lay on my back too.

with my last pg, I found that once I hit this stage, I had zero prolapse symptoms until the very end, but I wasn't sure at that point what was POP and what was normal 38 week pg complaints.

Hey there. Sorry to hear about the low cervix - I know the feeling! My cervix actually appeared right at "the doorway" somewhere around week 11, which was very annoying since I felt I had done so much in PT and the gym etc. to get strong and ready for my second pregnancy! But, I just wore a pessary given to me by my OB. Only needed it for 2-3 weeks and then it seemed like everything was staying in fine on its own. I'm 23 weeks now - right now the cervix is way inside and I feel mostly OK, though some feelings of heaviness and pressure sometimes. I'm pretty sure my rectocele is worsening but I am trying not to stress about it, just working on self-care and resting and lots of fiber. And yes, I pee when I sneeze - but are there many pregnant ladies out there who don't? :-)

Hang in there. Hope the midwives are helpful - ask for a pessary if the symptoms are really bothering you - I did find it helped a lot (mostly psychologically - I felt better having the baby well "in there" rather than seeming like she was going to bail out at any moment!)

Keep us posted, and know you are not alone!
Phoebe