muscle versus fascia

Body: 

I post a lot I know -- I have many questions...anyway I went to a physical therapist on Wednesday. She said a lot of positive things and said that I would get better, that it was normal, but she mentioned that my prolapse was probably muscle instead of fascial tissue stretching. Does this make sense to any of you? She said that some women lose muscle function down there -- for instance when I do a kegel I am not contracting all of the muscles which she said can actually make the problem worse. But she said with some lifestyle changes, exercises and posture work that I could get better. I already knew this because of all of you ladies but thought I would share the positive thoughts.

Has anyone else heard about the distinction of whether or not a cystocele is caused by muscle or fascial tissue?

Kristin

Any way she can keep the focus on kegels, the better for her. It makes no sense to me - did you consider having her draw you a diagram? These practitioners should not get away with obscure explanations that leave you scratching your head. At least her prescriptions were for posture, lifestyle and exercise - what sort of postural and lifestyle instructions did she give you?

The posture that she showed me was a lifted upper torso and a natural curve in the lower back -- basically a very similar posture as the whole woman posture. As for lifestyle instructions she mentioned eating a healthy diet and preventing constipation -- she also gave me an assignment to walk every day. And she actually told me to stop doing kegels at this point. She did draw diagrams and she did an exam explaining the differnt muscles and everything -- I just don't remember it all. My brain is a little fried these days from the babies.

I've only met with her once, but she said that we would work on breath work next week.

Just wanted to tell you about my condition. My PF muscles are pretty strong these days, when I do a Kegel my muscles contract strongly and closes the genital hiatus perfectly.
And I have POP, quite similar to yours if I remember correctly.
This summer I finally realized that proper posture not just does good but also feels good. I really can feel this dragging feeling if I am out of posture (bulges come back and my damaged fascia cannot resist, I feel pressure again). It didn't matter how strong and long Kegel I performed, it did not change a thing. (since then I stopped doing Kegels regularly altogether and I kept feeling better!)

Just my 2 cents on the topic. And I am sending you healing wibes!
Liv

Yeah for your PT!! I agree about the posture, Liv, it just feels right. :)

wouldn't it be great if all prolapse was about was weak muscles? Man if that were the case women like me and granolamom and liv and BMSrunner and Judy and Christine and Louise and well anyway just about everyone I can think of would be able to work out (vaginal weight lifting classes ladies *evil grin*) and reverse prolapse. Cheer.
Bummer that is not the case.
Mamato2boys you are strong. And your vagina will be strong again for sure- but you will still have prolapse because prolapse is a structural deficiency not a muscular one. So ya- stretched facia- thinned facia- torn fascia- stretched ligaments, tendons, rearranged pelvic bones- relaxin- all this contributes to prolapse during and after pregnancy.
But Kristen you really can get much much better and it is great that you are working with someone who - even if she is a bit in the dark about underlying cause of prolapse-at least has the good sense to keep positive in prognosis.
Stay upbeat- you can work to reverse your prolapse.