Which is it? I'm so confused!

Body: 

When I first found out that I might have POP I freaked out because the decision of having another child seemed to be taken away from me. All the sites I saw said that pregnancy makes it worse. Now, I'm being told from women who have POP, know women who had/have POP, that pregnancy and birth help. I'm so confused! Does pregnancy help or hurt?

Been too busy with work to write. Wish I could have. Trying to make note in case it helps anyone w/what to do/not do from my experience/learning curve. : ) Was worse, now - wow - feel better. Better as in I CAN FORGET I HAVE IT AT TIMES!

Other times I'm used to the pain enough that I am getting good at thinking in the midst of pain.

I haven't taken any supplements in a few days. Got the courage to sleep on my belly after a loooong time not. (have lost enough weight the fear of it is less). I sort of scooted my belly so that it's pushed UPWARD a little bit before i lay down. First time i did that was a few days ago and cause i was so sick of laying other ways. I woke up feeling as if things were surprisngly in place. And have been sleeping that way for a few nights now. Wow, maybe that's it? HUGE difference in the way I feel. But could it be that or other things, I don't know.

Maybe there's a thought in there. Would like to tell more but gotta go. Nice weekend everyone!

Hey! So you are considering having another child. Here's what I'll admit to (and you can track my posts on this- I've tried to label them 'first trimester, 1 month postpartum, etc) pregnancy and birth may worsen prolapse for the short term (make it more noticeable) pregnancy and birth will not worsen prolapse for the long term (unless of course you have birth related trauma like tearing, cutting, etc). In fact, I believe that if you experienced prolapse for the first time in the first few months postpartum you will feel so much better the second time around (after the second birth) than you did the first time.
I have had 5 births and two of them after I knew about my prolapse (which by the way I did have after the second birth, I just didn't know what the heck I was looking at and it never bothered me enough to find out- we just figured that blueish bulge was normal- we were kinda not very knowledgeable about how the postpartum vagina should look). I am now about 5 weeks postpartum and I feel fantastic. Nothing like I felt after the 3rd birth when I felt a good bit of pressure in my pelvic floor. Nothing is any worse than it ever was.
I was willing to take the risk though, partly because of what women here reported about further pregnancy and birth (not making things worse) and also because we were really not done growing our family. If I didn't really want more children I would have been less interested in risking it :) or if I could take it or leave it- I'd probably leave it. but not because of prolapse. just because of all that raising children entails.
It won't get worse because of a second pregnancy and birth- that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

I had two pregnancies (my fourth and fifth) after finding my prolapse. I had already spent a year or so getting to know my POP, learning to manage it and stabilize things, so the pg wasnt scary for me in that regard. I knew that whatever happened, I could work with it and be ok.
the pg was fine, labor and delivery were awesome. pp, things got worse temporarily, but nothing I couldnt take care of. I got back to my pre pg baseline within 6 mo (iirc).
my fifth pg was a surprise and believe me, the prolapse was the.last.thing. on my mind. I was pretty shocked at the idea of raising another child. but here we are, 18 months later, both POP and baby are fine : )
I dont notice the former and cant imagine being without the latter.

and in my experience, pg didnt bother the POP at all (maybe a bit at the beginning due to constant vomiting and a bit at the very end due to all the extra fluid/pressure in the area). you really can have babies with a prolapse.

...that would be my guess for your dramatic improvement, csf. It makes a huge difference when the prolapsed uterus lightens up by shedding a lot of its lining.

Thanks. Understood.

I had a period around April 1, then it continued barely bleeding for a couple weeks after when it normally would have stopped. A few days without bleeding, then blood again and dr guesses it's the next period. (I'm 51 and had TOTALLY normal periods, well, as normal as I get, lol, always. Meaning they've always been irregular and long periods. No sign of weird periods until this. No night sweats, no heat, no dissipating of periods, libido normal, body's the same, nothing unusual at all). The thing that's different this time is the bleeding seems to be in great part large clots. That is so weird to me. Instead of blood just coming out, I'll get this large clot. That kind of stays a clot. Like the size of a brazil nut, maybe a bit larger. Soft, but it doesn't dissipate, AND I can feel the clots come out. Hey, I am giving birth to baby nuts, congratulate me. lol Nicki's children. hahaha

But seriously, what the heck is with all the clots? And I had realized drinking less than usual helps Nicki go back home. So am hesitant to drink more. Does not hurt, btw. Just a weird giving birth feel then suddenly a baby nut. : )

I do still drink a good 20 oz or more a day. Just less at one serving.

Mine was more like Redi-whip (sorry!) and every time I moved about the equivalent of 1 squirt of the can would come out. I had never experienced anything like it in my menstrual history. Huge clots are extremely common too.

Hmm. Ok. Thanks for letting me know. Now a whole new thing to throw into the mix of things on the check list for me to wrap my head around.

Grieve death of the man who proposed to me at age 19. - Check.
Grieve loss of job soon after he died. - Check.
Grieve kids moving to college in next 1, then 2 years after his death. - Check.
Grieve onset of POP - Check.
Grieve loss of friends/potential dates who don't understand POP. - Check.
Grieve loss of the previous activities, tho hopefully will run, etc again. - Check.
Grieve onset perimenopause/menopause/confirmation no surprise kids - Check.

I am NOT an expert. And haven't read this whole thread. I know that compared to me, a 51 year old woman, a young pregnant woman has really good reason to hope things get back to normal eventually after initially discovering POP. I just read your original post again this morning and thought of this - maybe it's confusing that while one is pregnant POP may seem worse for a little while until the weeks the uterus starts growing high into the abdomen (poor phrasing perhaps but I think you know what I mean), but then after the birth, your body has the chance of healing quite completely in comparison to someone who wasn't pregnant while having POP? I think after the 12th week or so when there's a feeling of it being difficult, the uterus starts going up (really forward as Christine would say, I guess).

And I think post pregnancy a lot of healing goes on. So the answer to the question posed about 'which happens, worsening or bettering because of pregnancy,' that the answer would be "BOTH" ?? So that's why it would seem perhaps hard to know if it's good or worsening for POP until you realize that both things can happen, with perhaps a good chance of the bettering of it -or stabilizing it happening in the long run? Just a thought. Don't go by my answer, I'm just putting it out there as a thought. : )

I was just as confused about this when I found my POP. I found mine at 3 mos PP with my 2nd child & actually found myself with a surprise on the way 2 days after the diagnosis. Our little surprise is now a year old. I have to say that in the begining of pregnancy, I felt "heavy". I think a lot of that was due to vomiting all day long for weeks & the onset of constipation due to dehydration. Once the uterus started to "pull up", I couldn't even tell I had my POP as long as I kept my bowel movements regular. Birth was a breeze, she just slipped right out!! Ha! ;) No really, it was like 2 pushes tops. I had No tearing. I felt the best out of all 3 of my pregnancies PP. Things were slightly lower right after birth, but have since reverted back to where they were prepregnancy. Of course I took it easier this time around. I asked for help, got down on hands & knees to play/clean, rested when I felt I needed to, etc....So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say....Pregnancy does not worsen it as long as you know your bodies limits. HTH.....