Prolapse & Heavy Lifting

Body: 

Hi,
I've had a prolapse for a few month now and am new to this program and forum, but am looking for the advise re heavy lifting. I am a scuba diver which involves lifting of approx 70lbs and walking with that a short distance.
Can this kind of lifting worsen my condition? So far I am doing some yoga at home as well as daily Kegel exercises.
Thanks a lot!

Hi HappyMama,

As a woman with POP I would not try to lift that weight (POP or not), but I would figure out a way of breaking it down into smaller loads, and/or I would figure out how I could use mechanical advantage of levers, flotation, and big strong men, to help me to do this; and bake cake for them or some other gesture, in return.

Be smart about it. You don't ever dive solo, right? Choose strong dive buddies and barter for your needs (This is a need, not a want). :-)

You just have to figure it out, knowing the specifics of the outcomes you are trying to accomplish at the end of the process, and find a way to not damage your body further, so you can keep this wonderful activity in your life, doing it into your old age.

Louise

Thanks, Louise, for your advise! (Un)fortunately, scuba is not an activity for me, it is my job, therefore, I cannot ask other people do the job for me. I can only take it or leave it. Therefore, I am trying to figure out, if this heavy lifting could potentially make my prolapse worse or, I could still do that hand in hand with strengthening my pelvic floor by doing the exercises as well as having a good diet.

Ah! OK, that is a bit different. It is not negotiable at all, is it?

You might still be able to find ways of using mechanical advantage to reduce the weight you have to support, or the way you have to use your body to accomplish the same result.

Can you explain what you have to lift, and what you have to do with the load?

First I put the weight belt on consisting of three 10 pound lead blocks (30pounds total). And then I put the scuba tank on my back (attached to the vest) - about 35 pounds + carry additional few items. The diving is very enjoyable, just that walk to the water :-(
Also, we are trying to get pregnant again, I'll probably have to quit scuba then :-(( . I was diving with my first baby in my belly up until she was 5 month old, but no prolapse at that time :-))

Could I suggest taking everythng to the water's edge in a couple of lighter trips and 'assembling yourself' right there? Or perhaps put it all on a little trolley and wheel it down? But what do you do with a trolley while you are diving? Take it back to the vehicle, perhaps?

We are a fishing family. I understand how hard it is sometimes to ensure that all the right things end up in the boat and the right things end up back in the carpark with the boat trailer and vehicle.

I am guessing that your (male?) dive buddies don't know about your POP, and you don't want to appear or behave differently from them. Is that right? What would they do if they had an injury? Would they help each other?

It's crazy really. Your POPs wouldn't affect your diving ability. It is your load lifting and carrying on dry land that is a problem. Ask any whale! ;-)

Louise

I work for the aquarium, so the rules and protocols are pretty strict. I am leaning towards quitting the job :-( I'm sure those heavy loads are not helping my POP.
Thanks, Louise, for your advise!

But I think you are probably right. I think lifting 70lbs every once in a while would probably be ok- but doing it everyday for a job, well, I can see how that might make things worse.
I lift my bigger kids sometimes (for fun or when they are sick) but it's not the same as lifting and holding my baby or 2 year old.

When I lift my big kids I feel that increase in intra-abdominal pressure much more.

Now, I do think if you were to be an incredibly physically strong woman, then it wouldn't matter so much because then your 70lbs would feel to you like my 30 lbs feels to me.

I think Alemama is right. It is all relative.

I have been doing Wholewoman techniques for nearly eight years. I don't think POP impinges on my life at all these days.

However, I don't do strenuous sport because I don't enjoy it. I don't wrestle sheep anymore (and expect to win). I don't do heavy manual work for a living. In Australia the maximum anyone is allowed to lift with OHS rules manually is 25kg, which is 60lb, male, female, strong or weak.

If I want to do strenuous activities or heavy jobs I do a lot of planning, break up loads, use leverage and trolleys, and do it all very deliberately and slowly. That way I can accomplish almost anything I want to. I sometimes give up at the thinking stage and ask for help. I now don't see that as failing or being affected by POP. I see it as commonsense.

However, in a workplace it sounds like these ways of doing things are not an option, which is really unfortunate. I do hope that whatever decision you make you will be happy with it, and that you can find a job which will not involve having to do things which are potentially damaging for your POPs.

If you are leaning towards quitting, what do you have to lose by asking about flexible ways of shifting the load? If you don't ask ...

Thank you for your comments!
I just asked my gyno, if lifting 70 pounds could potentially worsen my prolapse, she said: "Most likely no! The prolapse is the result of the childbirth."
So, go figure!

I wonder how often the gyn lifts 70 lb?

Hello,
Whenever I take care of my big guy 2-year old grandson (35 pounds, not fat, just big and tall), my cystocele seems to be worse for a day or 2, or longer? Is there a good way to lift him (into the car seat, onto the changing table, into the high chair, into the crib)? He's almost able to get into the car seat by himself, but not quite, and yes, I should start changing him on the floor. But occasional lifting seems to be unavoidable.
Thank you.

Hi BlueSky - my kids are both heavy - my son will be 2 in 2 months and he's 31 lbs, my daughter is around 45 lbs maybe? not sure... I have lifted and do lift both of them.... now I do try to make them do stuff themselves, you're right, that's the best solution. but little kiddos need to be lifted here and there regardless...
i make sure to always lift in posture and even exaggerate it if possible - so really stick my butt out and really lift my chest. i picture my organs over pubic bone...
also, use your knee - so if your grandson can't reach something (the sink for example) get down on one knee like a man proposing and let him sit or stand on your bent knee. sometimes not practical in a public bathroom...
but the crib and carseat are tough - just try to keep your chest lifted and do your best. you can't do everything in posture unfortunately, but if you do as much as you can over as long of a time as you can, that's when the occasional bad form will be ok.
Christine demonstrates how to get a child out of a stroller too on one of the videos - that is my guide.
basically any time i have to lift it's legs apart, feet twisted outwards, bend at waist and knees if necessary to reach. try to lift with leg and butt muscles. I lean forward and picture organs resting against lower belly... keep your grandson close to your chest.
try to get a little stepstool for the car - you could let him climb into the car on a stool and then put it in the car so he can climb up.
the best position for changing would be on a couch - you can kneel next to it and put the baby on the couch... even changing on the floor i found sometimes I'd feel my prolapse worse since i was leaning over a wriggly child. I wasn't keeping lumbar curve...

Hi Typicalme, Thank you so much for that. Very helpful! :D