episiotomy scar hurts?

Body: 

my episiotomy took a full year to start feeling better, during my second pregnancy it hurt around the time I started to see changes but didn't know I was developing POP. I'm 7 months PP and seeing great improvement but my scar hurts lately. is this normal?

Hi wheayting,
Thank you for your enquiry. I empathise sincerely! - I had searing pain with my epsiotomy following the birth of my second son. However, in answer to your question, although it doesn't seem surprising that if the site of the episiotomy was under pressure or strain, then it might cause pain, I don't know whether this is normal or cause for concern. It would probably be worth discussing this with your mid-wife & GP.

Meantime, it might be worth looking up what other women have discussed on previous posts about similar issues. If you type in something like 'episiotomy and pregnancy' into the blank box in the top left hand corner, several posts pop up.

With love, wholewomanuk

Hi Wheayting,

Hormones play a major role in vulva pain. I'll use the example of "lichen sclerosis" not to worry you, but to illustrate this point. The symptoms of LS are often focused on scar tissue - most commonly at the back of the vaginal opening. There is a term for this, which I cannot bring to the front of my brain atm. However, before I learned to manage my LS symptoms, which I have since learned stem from common hormonal imbalance, a major area of discomfort was my vaginal "fourchette", or back opening.

Estradiol plays a major role in the health and comfort of the vulva because it keeps microbial populations healthy, which in turn keep the area pliable, healthy and comfortable. It is amazing that lactobacilli actually do this, but we are discovering it is the truth. Because you are breastfeeding (I assume), your estradiol levels are lower, which would affect vaginal/vulva flora. If you are cycling again, estradiol is also decreased during the second half of your cycle. Estradiol prompts the vaginal walls to secrete a substance called glycogen, which feed the lactobacilli. Honey does the same thing! Try a bit of raw, local honey once a day high in your vagina and see if your symptoms improve.

We are embedded in nature and from my perspective, all the best answers are to be found there - here.

Christine

I will try that! I'm breastfeeding, have mastitis, on antibiotics, possibly have a yeast infection developing, perhaps have the return of my cycle starting (very emotional!) and recently had everything shift around drastically, so it's probably no wonder. I've never heard of using honey but that makes so much sense. I use it for my son when he has respiratory issues. Thank you ladies, you are amazing helpful women :)

I have three episiotomies- one to the right of my perineum, one bigger one to the left, one long one right down my perineum (about which I thank God all the time that it didn't go into my anus!). With each one, I ached and hurt until I gave birth the next time (and got a whole new pain in the a&& to deal with). With the last one (the nice perineum slice), I was hurting considerably for up to a year pp. Depending on when it was in my cycle, I would often feel like my whole bottom was gonna blow out during sex, no matter how gentle. Then the pain was gone one day, at around the one year mark. Now I am pregnant again and the whole area is sensitive and achy due to vaginal varicose veins and a yeast infection (?) that began before I even realized I was pregnant and has continued, sometimes more, sometimes less, until now. If I touch the area I can actually feel the scars which I could not feel before. Christine is definitely on to something re hormonal imbalances and all these lovely lady symptoms. Honey is my savior (it even seems to sooth those angry veins) but it drips so I dont end up putting it in as often as I should. The good news- my uterus and bladder are higher up this pregnancy than they were last pregnancy- before I even knew I had prolapse, and before my third episiotomy.

Good news indeed. Go girl.

To be honest with you, 30 years later and I do still feel some sort of pain and problems related to my first butchered-up episiotomy.The scar will never heal like it was before it and some nerves do get damaged by the way the doctors cut us down in there...some people loose the strength and feelings in the area,some do get the niggling pain and loss of strength.Has been said that it's the episiotomy that will leads you to a prolapse later as it weakens the most important muscles in the area.

yes there is loss of strength for sure. when i do kegals i can only do them on the right. the scar was to the left.

Sometimes I let myself think of how I am doomed to prolapse -even if its not bad now, menopause will obliterate whats left of my perineum and then what!- due to the episiotomies I've had. And then I'm just like, SO WHAT, I have the tools to work with whatever I have. If it weren't for these epis, I may have never sought an answer and would have had to deal with thes issues 20 yrs from now when improper posture would definitely have taken its toll and when the only answer available to me would be- surgery.

Chicka, I had 2 episiotomies and a lifetime of bad posture. At 60 I corrected my posture, and in no way did this delay doom me to surgery. I'm surprised that you would make this statement. - Surviving

Sorry, i should have said the only *assumed* answer available...

Who knows if I would find WW then? Hopefully it will have become mainstream knowledge, but still.

Not saying, of course, that if you discover prolapse at menopause and beyond you only have surgery as an answer (you and all the other wonderful ladies on here are proof against that!)