C-section or induced labor?

Body: 

I am currently mid-way through my second pregnancy and trying to work out the best approach to the upcoming birth.

For my first, we planned a water birth at home. Unfortunately I got to 42 weeks with no signs of labor, and during a routine hospital visit I could not find a parking space so my blood pressure was high. The doctor sent me straight to hospital and they started inducing me. At the time I knew little about it as I had been focusing on natural hypo-birthing!

Before I knew it, I had my waters broken and was hooked up to the pitocin. I reacted quite strongly to this and after an hour, I could not handle the contraction pain. I had an epidural at this point and then the doctor was called in as my son's heart rate was dropping. From research, I have learned this was probably due to the pitocin and strong contractions, which can cause fetal distress.

The doctor ordered a CS, but at that moment my husband noticed the epidural cord had come loose and it was leaking all over the bed. The anesthetist said there was no way he could re-do it. Things were getting a bit scary at this point, especially seeing the horrified expression on the hospital staff's faces ... a senior doctor thankfully took over and my son was delivered using a venteuse and episiotomy.

In the months after the birth, I noticed a dragging pain during periods and after sex. It took me a while to realize it might be a minor prolapse. This gradually improved (never completely went away), but the stress incontinence is here to stay.

Now four years later I am worried a second birth might lead to a worsening of this problem. I would go for a natural birth without hesitation, ideally at home. However, I think there is less than 10% chance of this happening. I have long cycles, and believe this baby is going to be late again (due to the fact my cycles are long ... about 35 days, which can apparently make pregnancy longer). This will lead to another induction, the same experience as last time and quite possibly an EMCS.

So my question is: if you had to pick between induction, assisted delivery and potentially an EMCS ... or a planned CS - which would you choose?

Hi SpecialK and welcome. First off, I’d say that the second birth is sometimes way different from the first, in my case it was VERY much easier and faster. So you want to make known your wishes for an unhurried labor using as little intervention as possible – obviously this is best for your babe as well as your prolapse. With your history you do need a backup plan, so, to your original question of which is better (planned c-section, or assisted birth with possibility of emergency c-section) I don’t have the knowledge to answer that one.

But I would suggest that you start learning WW posture, and I think mid-pregnancy is a good time to familiarize yourself with it because basically you are already holding your organs toward the front. This is how you want to keep things even after birth – and for the rest of your life! Watch this video, especially the last half, which tells the posture story:
http://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/ww101.html

We have had several moms who have gone on to have multiple kids after a prolapse is discovered. Thanks to posture knowledge they have come out none the worse for wear, better really, because of what they have learned and how it will affect them 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the road.

So do take a look at what we are all about at Whole Woman. I know this hasn't answered your original question, but only some more experienced voices will be able to help you with that decision. - Surviving

It seems by your question that you haven't totally conceded to either induction or surgery. My (four) pregnancies were all "ten month" pregnancies. While because of my inexperience and fear I allowed my first to be induced, I was able to go on to experience progressively better births. If you haven't run across it, you might want to look into Robert Bradley's book on Husband Coached Childbirth. (It was first published in 1965. Amazon has it.) The idea is offered as a "method", but simply reading the book may be encouraging to you to trust your body and its own time schedule for "ripening". I wouldn't rule out the possibility of needing intervention, of course, but like Surviving has said....it may be different this time. Best wishes.

Thank you for your replies. I have been using the posture and - although it makes me look incredibly pregnant! - it really feels quite natural and comfortable. I hope that it has some sort of protective effect.
I will try to push for a longer wait until the birth, but as I am down as a high risk patient due to blood pressure issues, I am not sure how much I can get away with.
I'll take a look at the husband-coached childbirth. Reading some of the stories on here, it often sounds like the fewer doctors and midwives are involved, the better ...

If you haven't already, why not do some research and more self-evaluation of your blood pressure issues. More knowledge and understanding about almost anything helps alleviate fear and gives you some footing against professional medical fear tactics. I was considered to be high risk with my fourth pregnancy, but by that time I had some experience and confidence to not turn myself over to them any sooner than was necessary. In fact once labor had begun and we were timing contractions at about 30 minutes apart (but still somewhat sporadic), my tired husband fell asleep (middle of the night, having worked in the sun all day). I was offended and thought if he were going to sleep, then so was I! When I woke up about four hours later, contractions were regularly 5 minutes apart. It took about 15 minutes to get from our bed to the hospital. My water broke as we were crossing the parking lot into the hospital. My labor had progressed naturally and comfortably until I got there and they insisted on giving me an IV (claiming it was just sugar water but had to be in place because of my being 'high risk'). It contained pitocin and changed the experience dramatically from natural comfort and confidence to anxiety and more severe contractions with greater pain. I mean, I was obviously on my way to giving birth and did very soon anyway. My 9 lb. 15 oz. son was born vaginally without anesthetic and we were okay. The midwife and supervising physician tried to scold us, holding up our son and saying "Look how blue he is." My husband ordered her to lower the baby so blood could finish flowing through the umbilical cord and his color improved immediately. I can't help but think that if I had given myself over to the professionals sooner, it could/would have been so much worse.

My son and daughter who were delivered without my having an epidural were more content and better able to breastfeed and our bonding was better than the first two boys. My first son, labor induced, water forcibly broken, epidural administered, then oxygen because my breathing was compromised by the epidural, monitors added because of his distress....had bruised cheeks (forceps) and diminished sucking reflex making it easier for him to suck the larger rubber nipple on a bottle. My fourth child never had a bottle....weaned at 10 months when he was able to use a sippee cup...has better immune system function also (less allergy problems). So much for the experts.

Anyway, best wishes as you continue to educate yourself and prepare. What Dr. Bradley believed is that we are made for this and it works exceptionally well most of the time.