remembering to relax lower abdomen

Body: 

I know Christine says in my first aid prolapse video that relaxing our stomach/lower abdomen muscles is the hardest part of the WW posture to remember. My mother drilled it into our heads that even if the sky was falling in, we needed to have a flat stomach. I am embarrassed to confess that I feel almost unworthy/ashamed/naked when I stand in WW posture - how absurd!!!! All day long I catch myself totally clenched up and it actually takes me a few seconds to begin breathing again and to undo (at least some of) the tension...

Does anyone have any experience, strength, hope to offer? Any tips? I've thought of painting some words - relaxed belly, standing strong, goddess posture, etc. and hanging them around the kitchen and classroom where I spend most of my day.

I did part one of the first aid dvd this morning. I never studied ballet - not even one class! - so it will take some time for me to even put the steps together, but I did it. even dusted off and rolled out my yoga mat - ha! "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" - chugged the little blue train...

That is lovely peacegarden. There does seem to be some vulnerability to it when we finally start taking on our natural form. I always worried about my stomach sticking out even more, but Christine's words about really lifting the chest up really resonated in my head. With all the components in place, it starts to feel less awkward, but it does take time to give ourselves permission to enjoy it. No, it is not a naughty way to stand! Sexy, yes! I have personally felt more like a women since adopting the ww posture than I ever have my whole life of sucking and tucking, shaming, and hiding my natural curves.
I too had a little more difficult time with the ballet based exercise, but just kept going, thankfully. Those movements, once you get them down, are so wonderful for the body, head to toe!
You just keep chugging along, my friend!!! You can, I know you can!!

Whole Woman posture is so natural once we allow our bodies the freedom to revert back to our former selves. I just posted a comment on another thread about how I do not have a whole lot of trouble with the posture because I have never been a suck and tuck girl. I used to try because I thought it looked better. I also felt lazy and guilty because I would not make myself suck in my lower abdomen and tuck my butt. I just have never felt that it was worth the time and effort. My main problem is wanting to collapse my upper body when I sit, but I am working on that area. The hardest part for me has been making sure my chest is lifted enough.

One image I paint in my mind is that of a perfect Renaissance woman. When we were first married, my husband told me one night that I reminded him of a woman from a Renaissance era painting. I was a bit uncomfortable with that at the time because I could only think of the full-bodied women in those paintings. When I told him that I wished I did not have so many curves, he told me that I was graceful and beautiful. So, when I focus on my posture, I try to think of myself as a luscious, gorgeous woman from a masterpiece. Maybe that image will help you.

Another thing that might inspire you and make the ballet part of the the videos more fun is buying some ballet shoes. I bought a pair of low priced Bloch ballet slippers, and I am loving them. I too do not have any ballet training aside from some DVD's that I have bought over the years.

I don't just think you can. I know you can. As Aging Gracefully said, the movements are so wonderful once you "get the hang" of them. I just love to feel my body stretch and relax into the moves; however, some are still difficult for me, but I know that with practice and conditioning those moves too will become a joy instead of a chore. :)

Hi... all of the above resonates with me.. I am very new to this and don't have any dvds yet so am just doing bits and pieces I am finding online.. I need this so much so am doing what I can to achieve better a ww posture.. my body is not very flexible so I too am chugging along... and feeling better since finding this site and support.. I don't feel isolated and alone.. thankyou

and how I would love to have luscious curves... alas, my genes had a completely different plan. Even my own dear father (and he was absolutely wonderful) suggested breast implants one year. well I married a wonderful man who adores me just as I am and that has helped me to accept my quite linear figure ;)

so - one of my struggles with this posture is that when I get into WW posture - or as near to it as I can figure - my belly is quite definitely leading the parade. However, though I have a slight frame, I am very unfit so perhaps with a bit of Christine's exercises I will carry it better. Right now my stomach is soooo flabby.

Thank you for the encouragement. Reading WW last night, I was intensely grateful for all of me. What a gift. Thanks Christine and all of you wonderful women. I feel surrounded by love.

I too was raised by a mother who believed the stomach should be flat even if the sky was falling! She had been a swimmer in her youth and a crash-dieter whenever her weight crept above 125. Fortunately, WW posture felt right to me from the very beginning, even though I struggled with the part about making it a habit! That just took time and diligence.

I had a flat stomach until about 30 when I had surgery for a ruptured appendix. That was the beginning of the end of the flat tummy, then two kids finished the job a few years later. Now, in my 60's I have much more stomach flab than I like. But I use it as a reminder to keep the chest pulled up strongly. If you have a flabby tummy, go look at your naked body in the mirror. My stomach flab actually looks worse when I pull it all in!

Christine reminds us that this exterior chubbiness really isn't the point; you can still have long, strong abdominal muscles underneath, and that's what counts. If you have stretched-out skin from pregnancy, there isn't going to be much you can do about that. If it's mainly just fat, like mine is, then a bit of allover healthy weight loss could be in order, if that might make you feel better about the way it looks. If I cut out the sugar, I'd probably be able to accomplish that easily. - Surviving