can i have a safe pregnancy with a prolapse?

Body: 

I have second degree (all of them) cystocele, rectocele and uterine prolapse. My uterus is what scares me the most because my cervical opening is actually visible if i look. It is out of my vagina if I am using the bathroom. I was told that most women will wear a pessary the first 24 weeks, but I cant wear one because my other two prolapses push it out. I am going for another opinion, but how can it be safe to be pregnant if my uterus is virtually hanging out of me??
I am 29 years old with one daughter, she is 3. Vaginal birth.
I had a MILD bladder prolapse after I had her.
Then about 4-5 months ago I got my Mirena (IUD) taken out. All was fine. I also had a routine PAP smear the beginnning of the year. All was fine.
This is ALL NEW within the past two months, the severe prolapses. I dont understand what happened.
The only thing that had changed with me in the last few months was getting my Mirena out.
Could that have had anything to do with this??
Also, how would I be able to carry a baby? at least the first few months when the uterus stays small?
Nervous about everything, dont see why this is all happening = (

Of course you can - there are lots of moms here who have given birth multiple times after a diagnosis of prolapse. Read through the forums and search for posts and maybe one or more of them will comment here. I am quite sure none of them were wearing a pessary during the pregnancy so I don't know where that is coming from. Prolapse does go through changes during the pregnancy and as it has already been pointed out by another member, tends to move out of the way for the end of pregnancy and for delivery. You will want to do more research and definitely start working on Whole Woman posture if you are not already. - Surviving

I guess your first step should be to assess your posture. WW posture can help you manage the prolapses and even improve them.

I found when I was pregnant with my second child, my uterus lifted - I think this is because it expanded and moved into my belly to accommodate the baby. I was asymptomatic throughout that pregnancy. Said baby is now 1 year old - my original bladder prolapse is now worse than before second pregnancy (but manageable and not stopping any activities) but what's particularly noticable is that my cervix/uterus never fell back down after the birth - yay! You'll find each pregnancy changes your body in different ways - some good, some not so good.

Hi SA Counsellor

I suggest that you have a good browse through the Pregnancy and Prolapse Forum. Find someone whose story you want to follow. Click on her username, which takes you to her profile. Click on the Track tab. This will show you all the Topics she has posted in. There are at least hundreds of these stories.

Prolapse doesn't happen overnight. It takes years of holding our bodies in certain ways or abusing our digestive system, or poor toileting techniques, or doing heavy lifting and carrying in ways that are not prolapse friendly. Women can have prolapse asymptomatically for years. Then suddenly they experience extreme symptoms overnight. There will have been an event that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

One of the effects of prolapse is that the other organs in the body rearrange themselves to accommodate the malpositioning of the pelvic organs. It is necessary to change your posture and strengthen muscles that will support this posture. This in turn will change the shape of the inside of your torso, so the organs will move back eventuall to somewhere near where they are supposed to be. This is why it is a whole body approach, a whole body set of conditions with whole body solutions. Posture, (appropriate!) exercise, diet, clothing, techniques for everyday tasks, and seating and lifestyle.

During pregnancy your uterus might feel low for the first few months but will eventually come over the pubic bones and come out the front. You might still experience some prolapse later in the pregnancy, but all will be well.

For your own comfort I suggest that you get your posture organised 24/7, and your symptoms under control, before you become pregnant again. Attend to your diet to prevent constipation and difficulty emptying your bowels. Ensure that you can fully empty your bladder every day. Check out the Resources Tab for free information and visit the Whole Woman Store where you can buy the book Saving the Whole Woman, the DVD first Aid for Prolapse and other products to help you on your journey. There are also excerpts of the DVDs at the Store.

Come back with more questions. You will be very worried right now and not be able to see how your body will function OK during your next pregnancy, but I think you will find that the more you learn, the more success stories you read, and once you start to see some progress, you will get back some faith in your body.

Louise

yes to what louise wrote. yes you can have babies safely with prolapse (I am among those who have). it helps tremendously to regain faith in your body before attempting to carry and birth a child, but even if you find yourself pg before you have mastered the posture, you can still keep reading and finding inspiration in the stories here.

I have to say that removal of an IUD sounds like it could have something to do with the changes in your prolapse. it may have irritated the uterus and dont discount hormonal changes due to its removal.

also, I never wore a pessary.

try the posture, and the firebreathing. and nauli.

someone same experiences could help you a lot to get your comfort back.