what is going on to my body?

Body: 

Hi all, I am new to this as a member but have been reading and researching on here for awhile. I have been dealing with multiple odd symptoms ever since I had my right ovary removed in May of 13. I have become one of those people searching for their own answers and cast aside by the medical community because they don't have any answers. Without going into my long drug out story, I have recently come to some hip pain/pressure. It feels like I am sitting on something at times. And just feelings like my female anatomy has changed somehow. I have been to the GYN who did not think that I have prolapse. These symptoms began in the end of August and are what led me here. My question is this? As I have tried to incorporate the posture into my life, I have began to notice that it brings pain at times and odd sensations such as weakness, numbness from my tailbone up to my neck which radiate into my head. These all vary in area and frequency probably depending on what I do. I also should note that since the first surgery and due to soul searching and symptoms, I have changed my diet/lifestyle a lot and lost 80 pounds with more to go. So my ? is this; Is any of this normal when starting whole woman posture? And is there any condition that may be causing such reactions? I have found a few old posts that talk of this a little but I like lots of info. And also, is it normal that symptoms would "travel" from the tailbone to the neck? This whole site if full of fantastic info and fantastic ladies, full of courage. I feel fortunate to have found it. any help and insight would be great-thanks!

I also should add that my surgery was done by Da Vinchi robot, and I would urge woman to not go that route. They have had multiple law suits due to many issues. I panicked at the time and did not do my research and listened to my docs like a good little robot. I add this because all gyn surgeries done on the robot are done with the patient inverted at about a 45 degree angle. This may have something to do with my symptoms so I should mention it.

Hi mysterymom and welcome,
I am not sure if your type of surgery could affect your posture work or not, but other than the usual aches of your body changing its shape, you should not have any great pain with the posture work, unless you are not doing it right. Can you tell us what routines you are doing with the posture work? Christine's saving the whole woman book and the DVDs have wonderful explanations about what your body is going through, and exercise routines that really help strengthen and lengthen muscles that help to hold posture.
Also, it may be a good idea to look into Christine's hips book and DVD. There are many very good exercises that slowly work the body into better posture and exercise, stretch, and strengthen muscles that support your hips.

I have "Saving the Whole Woman" and I have read parts of it. I started slowly because I know from experience over the past year that whenever I try any exercise besides walking (and only short distances) I end up with fatigue, and some sort of muscle aches. I feel like it is hard to move my body at times. I was prescribed PT for a potential cervical injury, and it just seem to cause more pain and symptoms. I also was visiting a chiropractor frequently, which I thought was helping. He was very gentle, although I would always have some sort of pain following for a few days. On two occasions he was a little more aggressive and I had bad reactions. One in my upper spine, which made me feel heart attack like symptoms, and one in the upper neck which left me with ear fullness, headache and pain through neck and head. After that incidence I stopped going. So I have started by trying to incorporate the posture into my daily living. I read about it and watched the youtube clip about posture. I also have tried a few of the beginning plies described in her book. Like I said, I have just taken it slow because of my results so far, and it is confusing and depressing to me just not knowing why I am getting these effects and what to do about it.-thanks

It sound like you are having some issues there that are not related to whole woman posture. It is really beyond my scope of understanding what you should do next. Have you thought of a phone consultation with Christine? She may may have some insight as to what is going on physiologically and physically in your situation.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe someone else will come along that could have a better understanding to all this. I also went to the chiro for years, and he always made me feel better, not worse. So I really am stumped.
Best wishes.

Hi mysterymom. I'm really glad that you found us, and I hope that this work can help you. As AG says, for a woman who has not had any surgeries, and has no other significant health issues, the posture usually does not cause pain, other than what some women might experience at the beginning if they overdo it. You have had an ovary removed robotically and I notice you made reference to the "first surgery". Was there more than one surgery? Why was the ovary removed? - Surviving

I had a cyst on the ovary. And yes, right after the surgery odd symptoms began. Within a few weeks I was having pain in the right side area which was diagnosed as gallstones and recommended that I have that removed. So I did (I know, I know) hindsight is twenty-twenty. That was 5 weeks after the first surgery. Also done by robot. Needless to say, it did not take care of my pain or other symptoms.

If you are having prolapse symptoms, a feeling of something being down there, then it's likely a prolapse even if your doc says not. At least that's my opinion. We aren't medical folks here, just a bunch of women. But generally speaking, a diagnosis of prolapse is an elusive and subjective thing. I've never even had a formal diagnosis.

Losing a lot of weight quickly can aggravate a prolapse. I think over time the effects of that may tend to balance out. Work on posture but don't exaggerate your efforts. Get the First Aid for Prolapse dvd as it may help you to figure out if you are doing things correctly. Be gentle on yourself. Mindful posture walks are great for the mind and the body.

You may have medical issues that are beyond the scope of this forum. Hard for us to know. - Surviving

I should throw in the mix here, that I also have arthritis, diagnosed by blood work and x-rays from neck and lower back. I forgot to mention that-how would the posture work affect that? I re-read my title and laughed at myself! Yes I do home school and teach English! LOL

Mysterymom, I suspect I have some arthritis myself, causing some pain in one shoulder and also in the opposite hand. I have not had a formal diagnosis, nor have I sought to have one. WW posture is natural posture, and in my opinion the best way to deal is to adopt WW posture and to aim to reduce inflammation as much as possible with dietary measures. I am not a role model for good diet (I bow to others such as Christine and Aging Gracefully in this area) but I'm trying hard to cut out the sugar among other things. - Surviving

As I mentioned, I have lost 80 pounds and indeed totally changed my diet. I currently am gluten, dairy, soy, corn free and really try to eat nothing in a box. That is my biggest challenge. So much that is "healthy" is full of junk. I really read labels closely. I try to buy organic when I can but it is not always possible on our budget and location. I eat only natural sugars, raw honey or maple syrup, probably still too much of these since sugar was my main addiction. But I am working on it. This is part of the big mystery to me, why I have lost so much weight and made such drastic changes and still struggle.

I remember a lady that came into the nursing home for rehab from a surgery, knee I think. She had lost a massive amount of weight in a short period of time, and had a lot of aches and pains and stiffness in her back and joints, and she came in a wheel chair, and had to use a walker. She said that it was because she had to carry herself differently with the weight, and of course excess weight can be very hard on the body. So after losing all that weight, she had to relearn how to move again. She ended up getting extensive physical therapy and going home. It was amazing to watch her progress.
Not saying that is the same with you, but thought I would bring it up as a possibility.

That is really interesting! It has definitely crossed my mind, that it could be related. But then you see so many people who lose a lot of weight and just feel great. But everyone is different I guess, and I have carried all that weight for about 15 years or so. Also wondering what the general consensus is around here on the healing process and if that really entails a healing crisis at times. You can read so much about this and it is hard to discern what is really truth. Thanks for all of the input.