Mild Prolapse- SO many questions!!

Body: 

Hi All-

I am 28 years old and gave birth to my first child 10 months ago. I had a very rough vaginal delivery complete with high use of forceps. My vaginal wall tore all from bottom to top. I required vaginal packing for a few days as I lost alot of blood. I also had grade 3 tear. Fast forward to 5 months post partum, my hubby and I attempted to have sex... that was extremely painful! So that, along with feelings of pressure/heaviness led me to consult a pelvic floor physiotherapist. She suggested that I had a mild grade 1 uterine prolapse and mild diastasis recti. My pelvic floor was extremely tense and weak. After doing mostly relaxation exercises for a few months, she finally suggested that my tone was appropriate enough to begin strengthening. I had been symptom free for months. Now all of a sudden I was feeling the heaviness/pressure again, but more rectally. So I consulted a different, local pelvic floor physiotherapist (as my first one was located too far away) and she recently suggested that I have mild uterine, bladder, AND rectal prolapse... My family doctor has only diagnosed me with mild uterine prolapse.

Anyways, I am very frustrated with the lack of information out there to support us!! Every professional has given me a different diagnosis. My family doc says to do physio, but if that doesn't work your only option is surgery and you must be done having kids by then. I want her to refer me to a urogynecologist I think.

I am practicing proper posture, bracing for coughing/sneezing, never straining on the toliet... eating well. I am of normal weight.

I am wanting to have more children... my original plan was to start trying around 16 months postpartum. Is that enough time to heal?? or should I be waiting longer? I have heard people say that they had an elective c-section to decrease damage to their pelvic floor?

I am also breastfeeding. I have read that during breastfeeding estrogen levels are low, like during menopause. I am hoping that once I am finished breastfeeding (in the next few months probably) that my pelvic floor will react positively... experiences??

Sorry for the long post! I am new to prolapse and I feel alone and vulnerable :(

Hello MommaRN and welcome to Whole Woman,
It is not uncommon for prolapse to reappear during different stages of your postpartum healing. It can take up to 2 years to heal after having a baby, and with the help of whole woman during that time, you will be well on your way to feeling better for a lifetime.
Christine offers many programs for postpartum moms that are very helpful, as well as beginning and starter videos to get you on your way. Here you will learn a completely different concept from what your doctor and PT have been telling you.
Have a good look around and come back here with any questions you may have about this very important work.

Hi Momma - If you have been getting all your posture advice from pelvic PT's, you most definitely need to take a look at what we offer here on this site. Traditional definitions of proper posture are way off the mark. Even PT's don't have it right. Please watch this first:

https://wholewoman.com/newpages/video/ww101.html

A kegel-based approach sends you off in the wrong direction - if you suspect this was making it worse, you are probably correct. Christine has written several article about this very thing, which you can find on the Blog.

I believe many new moms here did find their prolapse improved after breastfeeding was over; having to do with hormone levels. Same thing happens with the menstrual cycle. But the important thing is to start to learn and practice correct posture. The organs are always moving around....that's why there is so much we can do to manage them. Any doctor's Dx is pretty much worthless.....a snapshot in the moment, interpreted subjectively.

You'll be fine. Never feel alone - prolapse is everywhere. The medical profession has nothing good to offer. We have answers here. - Surviving