Christine, can you recommend good ab work besides the dvd work? Anyone else?

Body: 

This is the issue. Since I've been doing the postural work, and stopped doing the post=partum abdominal exercises I was doing prior to discovering the prolapse, about once a week or so, it seems someone thinks I am pregnant. It also may be due to the more relaxed clothing I'm wearing. This is pretty annoying, because I'm not!

I'm pretty petite -- 5 foot 3, weighing 112 lbs. Maybe 5 lbs. above pre-pregnancy weight. I definitely have a little extra on my tummy. Anyway, looking for suggestions; or, at least, ways to deal with this situation! My dr. of tcm thinks it's primarily due to change in posture.

I do the dvd exercises nightly. What else can I do?

And, my diet is pretty good -- no processed food or sugar; a little dairy occasionally (goat or sheep milk).

Thanks.

Marie

I have found that doing Pilates has helped my ab area out the most. And, it doesn't kill you either. I got the Winsor Pilates off ebay for pretty cheap.

is doing ab work that does not negatively effect the prolapse.

Hi Marie,

How about:

• Walking
• Hiking
• Skating
• Swimming
• Surfing
• Kayaking
• Rowing
• Biking
• Dancing
1. African
2. Indian
3. Middle eastern
4. Hawaiian
5. Tahitian
6. Ballet (if you are allowed the natural position of your pelvis)
7. Jazz
8. Salsa
9. Flamenco
10. Swing
11. Appalachian clogging
12. Square dancing
13. English, Irish, Scottish, Scandinavian, Contra
14. Tap

• Whole Woman Fire Breathing

I’m not familiar with any particular workout programs or tapes.

You shouldn’t look pregnant, but do keep in mind that our culture is unique in its obsession with the flat belly. I watched a short news clip a couple of weeks ago on a worldwide belly dancing conference held in Egypt. I didn’t see one belly on any of those girls that we here would not have viewed as too large.

Christine

Hello. I am heading off for 2-3 hours of kayaking adventure tomorrow. I’ve never been and I’m worried about the position sitting in a kayak will put me in. I note the seat falls back slightly. Does anyone have any tips on how I can best maintain posture in a kayak seat that slants slightly back? Will a strong curve in the back be sufficient? Should I bolster the seat with a rolled up jacket to help with the backward slant of the seat? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Hi Sandstorma - I hope your adventure went well. I'm sorry you didn't get any advice on your post, but I don't guess anyone stopped in who had ever been in a kayak before (I certainly haven't). I am guessing it would be a bit of a challenge to hold posture. But the beauty of all this, is that those out-of-the-ordinary times don't matter much from a long-term perspective. What matters is what we do the rest of the time. Let us know what you did and how it went!! - Surviving

Hello Surviving60. Thank you for your reply. I kayaked and lived to tell the tale. The seat wasn’t ideal but I remained very mindful of my posture throughout the entire session. Sometimes I even sat my water bottle behind the curve of my back to provide extra support and act as a reminder of my posture. I was no worse for wear (prolapse wise) at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience to the point where I would like to get my own kayak and potter about with hubby and kids on the river very close to our house. I would be very particular about the seating in the kayak if I was to spend more time enjoying this activity. I think some seats are flatter so it’s more of a 90 degree angle my body would be in which I understand is fairly safe for my current situation. I wonder whether, at the right angle with the arm movements etc, the kayaking activity may even act to benefit POP by assisting with pinning the organs to where they should be? Posture plus right angle etc.........