stitching up the vagina.! ? ! ?

Body: 

http://www.miklosandmoore.com/colpocleisis-lefort-procedure.php

Hey there.
Feeling very troubled and sad. Confused. Trying to stop my Mom from getting dementia. SHe didn't understand the video and I got worn out translating. Only to have her forget everything the following day.
:..... (
When she swuats over the toilet, she pees on her pants and misses the bowl...
:......... (

A gyn recommened this procedure that closes the vagina.
Anyone know about this?

http://www.obgmanagement.com/index.php?id=20667&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1...

I meant to say that I have been trying to teach her to squat over the toilet for a bowel movement. This was suggested by one of the Whole woman practitioners as a way for me to at least begin to get my Moms leg muscles strong again. But although she was beginning to do this, she often did not get to the bathroom in time nor lowered her pants enough, so always ended up wetting everything. I began to teach her to move her feet further back and lower the pants past the knees .....but she was forgetting each time she went to pee again. I had to keep reminding her to pull the pants down further and stand closer to the seat so the stream did not fall into her pants........
: ........ (
I have to show her the movements and she can't copy me

Is this true?
Can it have been so effective? The gyn office that I took my Mother said that they don't fit pessaries but will clean them for those who have one already. Yet I went 2 times to see how my Mom would be doing with the pessary out for a few days and then see if she can have a pessary that has the little handle or the cube or the donut. Yet when I called to find out if the Gyn doctor my Mom is suppose to come back to see on Fri to discuss the pros and cons of a colpocleisis was a urogynocologist and if they were able to track down a cube pessary, the office rep said the Athena has been approved and covered by medicare so they don't fit pessaries anymore and no one does. Anyone know anything about this info?

Chickenfeet, I browsed the web just briefly and was not coming up with any info regarding changes in Medicare coverage for pessaries. But I don't know anything about this and would have to do more research. The Athena seems to be "prescribed" for incontinence, so how that's supposed to take the place of a pessary to hold the organs in place is beyond me. It just further illustrates how little these doctors understand about prolapse. But keep checking around.

I cannot imagine trying to get my own very elderly mom to understand and follow the posture techniques......so I do feel for you. If you can just get her to keep some lumbar curvature on the toilet, but stay firmly on the seat, maybe it will help her somewhat to void without straining and you won't have the mess to deal with.

Stitching up the vagina.....does there become a point where an elderly woman without all her mental faculties will just do better with this kind of radical "solution"? I honestly don't know. But it is a disturbing thought. Might be worth a consult with Christine herself.

Chickenfeet, i hope you are practicing the posture. You haven't said if you have a prolapse or not. Most of us end up with some degree or another. Even if you aren't feeling it now, please make it a goal not to end up in your mother's situation with few options to deal with it. Make this change, for the sake of overall health and especially as it relates to the hip joints. - Surviving

The thing with dementia is that most of the time the short term memory is affected. When I worked in the nursing homes, I was in a very practiced routine of repeating my self over and over every day with my dementia residents, but they just went along with me as long as I explained what I was doing. They did not do the routine with me because they remembered anything from the last time they did it. Don't be frustrated with your mom; this is all part of dementia. You will just have to develop a routine with her that you are both comfortable with.
I have seen anuses sewn shut because of colostomy bags, but have only seen one vagina sewn closed, and that was when I was in hospice, not the nursing home, and the women was younger. I don't think doctors routinely sew a woman's vagina closed because of prolapse. At least, I hope not!
You may want to consider a V2 supporter or fembrace for your mother to keep things from slouching out.
I wish you and your mother well, and hope you can find a gentle solution for all this.

Unfortunately AG, I think that this procedure is indeed often recommended, especially for the frail elderly who are not sexually active. I have heard of it on many occasions, and Christine mentions it. Check out the links provided by Chickenfeet. - Surviving

I do remember Christine mentioning it. I just didn't realize it was gaining in popularity out there.
Having worked with the elderly I find it atrocious that we do any kind of invasive procedures on them, especially if they have dementia and aren't given a choice. Gentleness and routines is what they need more than anything.
Sorry, but this is a sensitive subject for me.

As you say AG, these would be a nice gentle alternative. But I have no experience with them. Would they be difficult for a frail elderly dementia patient to remove in time to avoid an accident? - Surviving

Guess I was thinking would be better than sticking a pessary in an elderly woman. I suppose they would be tighter than regular underwear. I wish someone more experienced with them would post.
The best bet that I would see doing, would be to put depends on her and have a regular toileting routine to help prevent accidents.

My ability to prioritize and dedicate time to my Mom were a challenge during hurricane Sandy and then relocating. ...there was just too much to follow up with. I am leaving to return to my teen and husband and trying to find live in caregiver in Long island NY..if anyone knows someone in Long Island NY let me know

on the contrary the lefort coloplesisis procedure is not even known by most of the staff I spoke with over the phone. It is not gaining in popularity. On the contrary it is kept on the hush. I was told of this procedure as a better non invasive kinder option by someone online. I always try to research if there are easier less invasive solutions that are implemented by a health service provider that doesn't have the pressure of making a profit to stay in business. Easier solutions that exsist don't have a chance when the overhead to run a typical Medical or any profiting office anywhere in the USA is $thousands of dollars per week to pay the salary of the GYN and staff, overhead, utilities etc. ....The costlier procedures can bill $5-10,000 as opposed to a few hundred for a $30 office procedure. The hospital then needs to make another $1000 per day during the recovery. So of course the more complicated "better" for the economy. Although it is not a system based on truth and integrity or ethics. How do we pay for our rents and mortgages if we have nothing to sell. I would never have known there is such a simple procedure like lefort colpocleisis or the Whole Woman posture if it isn't for the integrity of people out there to release the knowledge for the sake of being honest and caring to share the truth.

I guess I would like to know what are the possible side effects to having your vaginal walls sewn together. What studies have been done on this procedure: success rates versus failures, chances of infection, etc.
I am hearing your frustration about your mother's prolapse, but am wondering if it is bothering her as much as it is you. Not trying to be sassy here, but she is the one who would be going through this.
I just have to wonder if it would better to leave well enough alone, get her a good caregiver, and give her the best comfort you can.

I would ditto Aging gracefully. My 93 year old grandmother fell and broke her hip. While in the hospital we were told she had a prolapsed uterus and would we like them to remove it. She lived with my mother and her reply was, "absolutely not." She recovered from the broken hip and was able to walk. She came home enjoyed her life for the next few years. My mother hired a caretaker during the day when she was working. My Nana did just fine and died with all her feminine parts. My point is sometimes it is better to leave things alone.

Dealing with dementia is tough enough. I'm learning patience with it myself in my dearly beloved. If your Mom needs to pee in a squatting position this way in order to really empty her bladder, maybe she could do it better with a receptacle other than the toilet. It's hard to squat and hit the toilet with weak knees and bad aim! When I shower, I get on my hands and knees to completely empty my bladder. She may not be able to do this and get back up safely. So otherwise, if I'm having trouble with the need to empty, I use a wide-mouthed bowl (like a margarine cup or whipped topping cup) to catch the urine and then rinse it out and leave it behind the toilet (or in my case in another private room) to use again. I started doing this because we only have one bathroom in the house and sometimes I can't wait, but I've found it really helps because of the semi-squat I have to use to do it and it isn't messy if the bowl is wide enough and held close enough. It's such a relief that I void this way at night when I'm having trouble settling down to sleep with a constant urge to pee. This might be useful for completely emptying her bladder, but I don't know what you might do about her bowel movements. Sorry.

I'm also sorry you have to leave your mother and hope you can find a good caregiver for her. Let's hope there's someone who would appreciate a live-in situation, has some compassion, and is trustworthy.

I don.t think your mother would find the Fem Brace helpful to her as it is quite a fiddle to deal with on and off, that's what I found anyway.
If you look for Jade and Pearl web site you will find that they have some plastic funnels that are meant for helping woman to go pee in a standing position. Perhaps something like that would be helpful to your Mother.
Daphne.

Sounds to me like the easiest thing at this point is just to have her sit normally on the toilet. Was the squatting actually helping her have a bowel movement more easily? I'm guessing the whole thing was just too awkward and complicated for her. Try just having her lean forward with as much lumbar curvature as she is capable of. - Surviving

Well I bit the bullet and cancelled the appointment to put the pessary back in and instead took my MOM to see a Whole Woman Practitioner in Brooklyn. My Mom who is shy and withdrawn had the best time being an eager student, and was able to experience the prolapse going back, and not feeling it anymore. She left being so aware and alive and motivated. Like some magic tapped into her body and brain. My Mom walked in a bit foggy and left being alert and aware of her body and it's part and a bit less self conscious. Her brain made the connection with the gentle kindness that Paula had for her. The lights were low, it was quiet and easy to focus and quite moving and healing for me and my Mom to have some wise guidance from someone who knows exactly what she is dealing with. But today I took her to meet a new gyn for when and if she will need to put the pessary back....and she said my Moms uterus is flat and tiny and up there and hard to locate because of the hardness in the lower abdomen that comes with age. (I think that is what she said.) Mom has a cistocele not a uterus prolapse. SO I have to start a new discussion or continue on this thread?

I for one would like to stay with this thread for a bit longer....you never answered my question from my first post up above. How's your posture? Did Paula check it? I love how your Mom made this mind-body connection, and if she can do it, anyone can. I hope for the sake of your own future health, that you have given this WW work some very serious thought for yourself. Let us know. - Surviving

Unfortunately, she needs to be reminded. WHen I leave and go back home, someone will have to care enough to remind her to stand behind the chair and bend and hold the backrest....They will have to hear my Mom moan and complain that she doesn't want to do this. I believe the mood of the people she lives with don't help her be the vivatious person that she can be. It is for this reason that I am beginning to understand why nursing homes might offer a better environment than living at ones home. There is more life in a community setting at a nursing home than in ones own home....

Just make sure you do your research on the nursing homes. I have worked in some real hell holes, and then also some really fancy ones. Balancing cost and care is a big issue when taking this option with a loved one. The problem with most of them is their own profit, and being short staffed. The patient to Aid ratio is an important question to ask, because the smaller that ratio, the better care the person will receive. I could easily care for and pamper 6 to 7 people during my shift, but if it got to 10, 15, or even 20 at times, they just got the basics, and that always made me feel horrible.
Well, anyway, could go on and on. I have been thinking about you and your Mom, and really wish you the very best.

We covered so much in our session that I do recall myself standing and trying the moves and comments and corrections being shared. I do admit tho that I have to squeeeeze my legs together when I feel the urge to pee....And that I psyche myself into stopping that feeling. I guess I am next. But thanks for being concerned. But I wanted all the focus to go on my Mom...
IN regards to the nursing home... I am not going to do that unless my MOm would desire that to which I would not do it unless she loved it and it would make her smile and feel excited to be chatting away.

In my (humble) opinion, Chickenfeet, an elderly woman (who has dementia and therefore isn't capable of "learning" the posture) and whose uterus is in a good position and who has only a cystocele, does not need any kind of treatment at all. If you want, you can remind her to try and maintain lumbar curvature and not to strain on the toilet. Of course, if you are not the caretaker you won't be able to do this, but you will simply do what you can, when you can.

If she complains that she feels things are falling out, Aging Gracefully has written a great post on her recent experience with a V2 supporter. Unlike your mom, she has uterine prolapse, and faithfully practices the posture. She uses the support only occasionally, finds it to be easy on and off, not constrictive to the belly at all.......this might be a great solution for your mom.

This whole discussion has been so valuable as a reminder of why our future pelvic/hip health depends upon us retraining our bodies while we still have the maximum capacity to do so. - Surviving

Yes, the V2, is an easy on and off unabtrusive device to use if your mom says she is feeling saggy down there.
If she has trouble completely emptying her bladder, she will end up with UTis. I saw that quite a bit in the nursing homes. They would get quite a few rounds of antibiotics for that. And, if they were retaining too much urine, catheters were used very frequently to keep the bladder empty.
I guess my concern is her dementia. She may be at the beginning stages right now, but as it progresses, she will forget more. My own grandmother had dementia, and my dad lived with her, but he also had mental illness, so it really wasn't an ideal situation. It was a good thing they lived in a small community, because they would always find her wondering around. So, a good caretaker either way would be the best thing for her right now. We had people coming into the nursing home all the time where family didn't think they were bad enough yet, and they ended up burning themselves on the stove, or falling down breaking bones, and overall generally bad health, etc.
I am glad you are being very attentive to your mom. You seem like someone who wants the very best for her. As always wishing you both the best.

Thank you ladies for this valuable tip regarding the V2 supporter. I will put this in my spiral notebook where I make note of things I may need in the future, maybe someday when I won't remember the name or even how to use this iPad any more. My latest idea is to order Christine's book for my 2 daughters for CHRISTMAS. Something they can read on their own and gain the knowledge before they may have to take on the challenge themselves. I'm sure they think it won't happen to them just like I thought it wouldn't happen to me.They both do a lot of dangerous core training and my telling them not to suck and tuck just isn't sinking in.

That would be a wonderful gift for your daughters, whether they realize it right now or not. I was nervous when I told my daughter, because I wasn't lifting my grandchildren anymore. Making excuses about my bad back, but when I finally did, I was relieved, and she was actually very understanding about it all. I loaned her my book and she did read it.
I do hope that some day your daughters realize the importance of the work you are doing, and how it could affect them also.
I wish you and your daughters well, my friend!

I will get that v2 and yes.. after the hurricane, she did not have the pessary during the hurricane because the gyn let her have a break for 3 weeks,, and my Mom was not complaining about the prolapse,, but when I arrived to help with the flood, I wanted to take her to the gyn to put the pessary back in but my Mom would not go because her Gyn was not there,, and then we had no cars because they got flooded. So not having her pessary back in did not seem urgent because she wasn't complaining, yet she was having accidents.. Unable to hold her pee and she had constipation so we ended up relocating to another city,, and a few days were going by that she was getting a soar troat and eventually I took her to a doc that found nothing wrong. And then I took her to another the next day that found ketones in her urine. That night she was with soar throat and could not swallow. I was letting her sip while she had a high fever and I thought she was going to die. But miraculously, her fever spiked and then came down. But I think I caused the dementia because she had a high fever. I still am not sure if she was dehydrated and lack of liquids caused the uti, or was it because of the prolapse and she wasn't emptying the bladder. It was only after going to the 2nd doctor that the UTI was diagnosed. THe second doc put in the pessary. THe first one did not take into consideration that she did not have the pessary in. I did not even think of the prolapsed bladder causing the illness she was feeling. THank you for helping me understand this all. I am reading all these posts with gusto. I am back in florida and keeping touch with the support she has in NY. It is not quite right yet and one girl did not show up as planned. BUt the help we do have are males but males, and live in when they stay over. I found a younger girl for 2 days a week so she will check up on my Moms female needs. She won't liberally drink because of the fear of peeing herself and not wanting to waste those pads. or wet washcloths.

Why did the previous gyn always tell my MOM to have a hysterectomy if my Mom does not have a uterus that is prolapsed? The current new gyn had my mom do an ultrasound and a pelvic urine test on Sat to see how much urine is left behind after my MOther pees. SO I did not get the results yet. I hope the results show that the uterus is in the right spot and no urine is remaining. This way, my only urgent message to the caregivers is to make sure she drinks liquids and perhaps some lemon juice squeezed into her water daily. That should help prevent some issues. But what you said about elderly women needing catheters to empty out the bladder is really disturbing me. SO if I get dementia, I am doomed. It is a matter of keeping people living that have no sense of their surroundings or faculties. IN diapers. And when I become bedridden, I will need a catheter. Otherwise I will have like a septic poisoning. My Mom did not have shart pains when urinating. I thought a uti causes sharp pain. She did not have sharp pain last year when she got sick.

For the elderly people I cared for, the first indication of a UTI, was extreme behavioral changes. People that were normally pleasant and quiet, would start to really act out. If you see enough of it, you recognize this right away.
I took care of women from the beginning stages of dementia all the way to Nth degree dementia, and not all of them were incontinent, and no, not all of them had catheters, but they did wear depends. We were actually taught to push down on the bladder to empty it completely. I would not suggest this for your mom. If they had too many UTIs, they would get catheters. And, if catheters were not taken care of properly, they could still end up with UTIs. Sorry, but this is the nursing home reality.
I know there are many women on the forum here that have good remedies for preventing UTIs, and getting your Mom's constipation under control will really help her a lot. She may have to continue to wear depends. A good toileting routine and cleanliness goes a long way in keeping the elderly comfortable.
As always wishing you both well.

Chickenfeet I think you need to get a few things straight. You did not cause your mother’s dementia. You did not cause her incontinence. If you want to blame anyone, blame your mother’s age.
Another thing. If your mother has dementia and incontinence, you cannot automatically assume that you will experience dementia or incontinence. It is always possible of course, you only need to look at the statistics on these things to see the possibility and there is an important contribution that genes have to make, but you must remind yourself no-one knows the future, what fate applies to one does not necessarily apply to another even if they share the same genes. If you want to take what has happened to your mother as warning for a possible scenario for your own future, please don’t rush into doing kegels and other rash decisions; instead give yourself time to think things through without panic.
Suddenly having to look after your mother is not an easy thing to take on. Many people find they cannot do it for any number of reasons. That you are seeking to do the best you can by your mother and the rest of your family means you have to make sometimes heartbreaking decisions. You are not to feel guilty or inadequate because you find you cannot live up to some high expectation that you have of yourself. Judgements are better made in the glare of reality and then maybe push yourself just a little bit more within the area of reasonableness.
You have demonstrated on this site that you are seeking out every possible angle from which to do the best you can by your mother. If I were you, I would be giving Graceful a barrage of questions. She has a wealth of experience in caring for old people and she has a wonderful empathy and love for them so that what she has to say is eminently trustworthy.

Chickenfeet, I have a very elderly mother myself, who does not have full-blown dementia but does have mobility issues. She wears Depends if we have to go out, just for a little added security. If accidents are an issue with your mom, I would suggest the same. Nothing else at this stage of her life is going to "cure" incontinence, and I'm not sure all of your running around looking for solutions is good for either you or her. Fab is right, please take Aging Gracefully's experience to heart. Watch for the UTI's but stop worrying so much over the accidents. There are good brands of diapers out there now, they're almost like underwear. - Surviving

A few ideas that might help your Mother feel relaxed and content in her own house, my mother passed a few years ago, she had dementia for a couple of years and she enjoyed holding a doll about the size of a real baby, she used to dress it, sing lullabies and make us keep quiet because the baby was sleeping, simple tasks like folding laundry, cutting cookies, organizing the cutlery while being in the kitchen when you are cooking, she loved hearing piano music, drawing, painting with her fingers, taking weeds out of the vegetable garden and she did a great job, she did not forget which were the weeds .... playing with big sponge puzzles and pictures of her own city puzzles, she did not enjoy watching TV at all, we played with her rolling a ball over the table and she did catch it and rolled back and laughed like a child if she caught it, she loved the rubber balls that light up when they bounce and will follow their lights with her eyes and show us where they were, she loved a cat that had batteries and purr if you stroke it also a dog that bark etc. she loved to be busy with her hands and enjoyed most of all when she was outside in the shade, the bright sun light did bother her eyes and sometimes the birds that were eating at the bird feeder or hummingbird feeder made her very happy and she will watch them for a long time and sometimes she did not pay attention to them. Her diet and routine were written down by the geriatric specialist and she had to drink many glasses of fresh watered fruit juice daily to keep her hydrated and with good digestion and she had to use diapers. If possible keep talking to her about her past and her interests and she will be more alert, some days she will not answer back or recognize anything or anybody. Gentle massage on their feet body or hands with a bit of butter made her relaxed and her skin soft. We took the bathtub off she was scared, she enjoyed showers sitting in a special stool, we installed safety bars in the bathroom and a ramp to go outside, if you have black tiles on the floor they make them scare, we took away all pieces of carpet because they can trip them, also telephone or appliance cords, do not forget to install a high up lock on the outside doors and alarm at night because she will open the doors and go out. I wish you and her many of those beautiful short moments of recognition when you are together that will be in your heart always. Thank you Aging Gracefully for all the love and tenderness that you have given in your life to many persons that were lucky to have you in their moments of need.....

That is just beautiful Solita! What an inspiration to those of us who have yet to enter this journey, either as carer or cared-for. Beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes.

Such a wonderful post, Solita. You are bringing back memories of very specific people that did some or all of these activities. I agree that people with dementia really need this more than anything else, and that it is presented in a patient and gentle manner.
While some were afraid or just didn't have the patience to care for them, they were my favorites to care for, because I know they didn't mean it if they acted out. And, it was so very rewarding to get them to smile and enjoy themselves.
It makes me so happy that there are people like you out there that took such an effort to make sure your mother was happy and well cared for, and that you shared all these wonderful very useful tips with everyone else.

Solita, your post is absolutely beautiful. I can just feel the total, gentle love between you and your mom. So lovely. Thanks for sharing.

back to where she remembers more because I think her B/P medication was making her mind not get blood flow. I took her off it for 2 weeks and she was getting better to the point she is sweeping the floor and sewing again. So we will see. The cardio doc was pissed off but then he took her BP and agreed that I did the right thing because her bLood pressure was low without it anyway. One alternative thoratic doc I took her to in Fl said she needed pink Himalayan salt. But her cholesterol is supposedly high so I am confused. Some studies say the higher the better. But thank you all and Solita for a detailed visual description of what is to come should my Mom not get progressively better. BUT she feels distraught to use sanitary pads and it makes her depressed to be wasteful. SO that is another struggle

I checked out the V2 belt and I think my Mom won't be able to lower it down as she already struggles getting her pants down fast enough and that is usually why she misses the bowl. The fussing part to lower the pants and then the underware takes time and then she has to step back to ease herself down on the seat. She doesn't lower the pants enough so they end up too close to the toilet seat. I have coached her to lower the clothing way way down past her knees down to her ankles asap while stepping back and she kind of gets better....So perhaps I should wait on the V2 until she gets use to lowering both underware and pants at the same time?

Although the V2 can be taken on and off very quickly along with underwear, it would be an extra article of clothing to fuss with.
I really only find it helpful when I am increasing my activity on those really bulgy feeling low days. It just creates a feeling of security while out and about. Has your Mom complained of feeling really bulgy down there? And, is she really active?
I would only use it for that reason, not to wear it all the time.
I do hope your mother finds the comfort she needs and deserves. We were pretty practiced at whipping the elderly ladies with incontinence issues pants down very quickly in the nursing home, but that's just it: we did it, and even then sometimes it got messy. With her doing it by herself and doing it more slowly, I can see why she would get frustrated and discouraged.
I am getting a little confused about your statements about the dementia, I have seen people develop confused states from taking certain medications, and once those medications were changed or discontinued, they would go back to their original selves. So are you thinking she doesn't have dementia, after all? Was she diagnosed?
Either way, it is hard on the elderly when it comes to toileting and the embarrassment of accidents, so her getting the help and support she needs will make her more comfortable in the long run. Regular toileting routine and cleanliness.

It will be easier for your Mother to use washable warm or light material pants with elastic waist (and no panties) to pull down fast and sit on the toilet assisted by the safety bars and not hover over it until she can strengthen her legs with long daily walks.
I heard that a daily fruit juice prepared with a medium size raw beet will benefit the blood pressure but I do not have the science knowledge at this moment to back that statement for you, I think it is important to study it and help her naturally.
When the time comes to give her pills, ask the Geriatric Dr. if they can be ground in a mortar and pestle and mixed with a little juice, (some pills have to be given whole only) because they choke very easily and can become a very serious and scary situation.
I forgot to tell you that if you buy her a doll make baby clothes to dress and undress easy ( velcro) and buy one washable and with sleeping painted eyes not the mobile ones, their normal curiosity compels them to poke them.
Enjoy every minute that you are lucky to have with her!
She is your baby to love and protect as you were hers.
Solita

I agree that a support bar does help in assisting the elderly to steady themselves in the bathroom, but not all can hold on and pull their pants down fast enough without still causing an accident. Everyone has varying degrees of mobility, stiffness of joints, and the cognitive ability to accomplish these seemingly simple tasks. I can't really tell from what chickenfeet's written word exactly where her mother is in any of these categories.
That is why possibly an assessment and caregivers may be a viable choice for her, since chickenfeet lives in a completely different state.

Thanks Sonita....I think the medicine played a big part in her mental decline. She has not been diagnosed but when the doctor asked her how old she was last week, she didn't know. So that was a first. I can't believe it. She knew her age the week before that. I think she will get better.

... thank you Gracefully for the wealth of info and to get a glimpse into the world of caregiving. My brother lives with my parents and he is very attentive to our mother but he is not there 24/7. He is hearing all the input on this issue which is overwhelming him, but he is listening. I have a girl who will come 2 days per week who's Mom and aunts are all nurses and I will try to have them design a schedule for the other live in caretaker to follow. My Mom is NOT stiff at all. She is very flexible but has no more strength in her legs because she has hammer toes, caluses that form very easily because of no muscle on her foot pad and doesn't';t walk much anymore as a result. (She use to walk everywhere up until the hurricane with her sneakers and refused accepting a lift from neighbors)...But I had her begin to use the stepper to help build some leg muscles again hopefully and got her Asics very very expensive sneakers that she loves...She would never spend that much on sneakers before, but her forgetting a bit has enabled me to actually not have to debate and be challenged into buying her the things that she needs for her care. Those shoes are helping so much. I will have a bar put next to the toilet in addition to the ones we just installed in the bath. ALso my Mom does not pay attention to the prolapse. She doesn't mention it anymore like she use to when there was moments of not having the pessary. It is like half a golf ball hiding under the labia. And she washes every night. The ultrasound urine retention test came out negative which shows that she evacuates her urine well enough so that means she must have gotten the UTI last year simply from being dehydrated during the flood and all the commotion and toilet not working etc etc...So she drank less in order to not have to pee more.

Thank you for checking in, chickenfeet. It sounds like you have this all under control now and going in the right direction for your mom. Wishing you both the best as always.

My aunt called me to say my Mom mentioned that she bleeds and so I had the caregiver take her to the gyn. The gyn said to use the trimosan every 4 days. And I called back to ask what about in between the 4 days. And she said to use Vaseline. Isn't that a petroleum product? I have to fly there. We were trying out caregivers and too much traffic and fussing was making my MOms Blood pressure go up so she needs quiet time without too much caregiver activity. SHe is not ready to be dependent yet she forgets all the steps about managing her prolapse. I almost a thyroid issue and in the middle of figuring that out. I am freezing in 75 degree weather. Procidentia photos are more dramatic than prolapse photos on google images. But I believe they are the same thing. Correct?

Chickenfeet, I think that term generally refers to a very severe uterine prolapse. Sorry about all your recent problems. As it seems you are the one always going to the rescue, is it possible at this point to consider relocating your mom so she is closer to you? - Surviving

My parents and disabled uncle stayed with me most of this past summer but the heat left them a bad impression. But i am here for her if and when the time comes for me to help her. It is a bladder prolapse not a uterine prolapse actually.

But Chickenfeet, doesn't it seem that perhaps that time has come? Elderly, frail and confused parents don't always get to have their preference of where they live or who cares for them. The time comes when we have to take matters into our own hands and do what is best for all concerned, including you. I've read your other post and I don't think it is going to be easy to find caregivers who can provide the kind of help your mom needs, and you are running yourself ragged in the meantime. - Surviving

Chickenfeet,
Your mom does need a regular routine wether that is with caregivers or not. Of course, if you are sending in a barrage of differerent caregivers, she isn't going to be too happy about it. Stick to a couple of really good ones, or it may be time for her to go to a home if her safety is a concern.
Most of the elderly people that first come into the nursing homes aren't happy about it. In fact, many are downright mad at their relatives for putting them there, but they acclimate and get used to the routines there.
You need to decide where that routine is going to be. She will continue to get more agitated with her dementia no matter where she is. That is why a calm environment is needed.
Wish you the best.

Not a barrage....slowly .....yes. We fortunately are getting there. She use to be suspicious of people, but learning to chat and talk.... Cant put my mom into any home yet because it would kill her as she isn't social and more like a recluse and introvert most of her life. She has her senses and getting better. She went to Zumba gold yesterday!!!! So that's a catalyst to becoming the social person that is hiding inside.

That is wonderful, chickenfeet! That certainly sounds like positive progress for your mom. Change is hard for all of us, especially when we are set in routines, but it can happen, and we can get used to new things. Good for your mom.

I feel that energy was wasted trying to teach the posture when someone is beginning to lose the ability to stay focused. Using a pessary, although it pulls down the other organs perhaps should be considered to give a woman a break from incontinence. A pessary stopped all incontinence. And it allowed my Mom to finally sleep through the night, and not have accidents during the day. She did not like to be told when to take a bathroom break. Although that helped, she still wet herself as she lowered herself onto the seat. She is still with her mental sensibilities that she would not allow herself to let go into the incontinence pads, yet she was unable to move speedily and the urine flow would make her get wet anyway. THis repeatedly frustrated her and it made her depressed. THe pessary allowed my mom to remain sleeping during the night therefore renewing and creating more neurotransmitter and new brain cells. NOw she can focus on the exercises better instead of being oppositional because of her mood from lack of solid rejuvinating sleep.

Hi chickenfeet,
I think we were all in agreement that trying to teach posture to a person with dementia wasn't working out so well, and you had said that the pessary worked for her previously. Continue monitoring her to make sure she doesn't get sore spots or infections, as this can happen with pessary use, would be a good idea.
Wish you and your mom the best!

Pages