Prolapse and PAP smear tests

Body: 

I have POP and recently went for my PAP smear test (done every 2 years here in Australia). I had such a painful experience when my doctor attached the speculum - experiencing a scratching pulling feeling - and she had to stop the test without obtaining the sample from the cervix. There was a little bleeding afterwards. The Dr said the difficulty was due to post menopausal dryness of my vaginal walls, gave me a script for vagifem and asked me to return for the test in 2 weeks, saying that it would be much easier then. My question is, has anyone had experience with worsening of prolapse after PAP test? I have not felt the same after the attempted PAP test, with a feeling like my urethra has dropped a little. I have not returned for the test as I feel a little traumatised by the experience. I have tried maintaining WW posture whenever possible and like to stand up on my toes and lift arms over my head to stretch body line. I also like to do some kegel exercises to maintain muscle strength in pelvic region. Fire breathing is a little difficult for me since it causes some pain afterwards due to hip arthritis. It's been about 5 weeks since the PAP test and I do feel like I'm gradually getting back to my pre-PAP test condition but not totally yet. On another topic, I've read forum comments on use of honey which sounds very interesting! Looking forward to your feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Aussiegirl. I will tell you my own experience and my own opinion.....that is all it is, and hopefully you will get others.

I had PAPs sporadically throughout my life, certainly not every 2 years - far from it. My GP did one when I was 58 and seeing her for an unrelated issue, because I was probably 10 or 15 years "overdue" in her opinion. It was normal, as were all the others, and since I was several years past menopause at the time, I have not seen any need or desire to go back for any more. I have seen well-researched articles saying they are not needed after menopause if they've been coming up negative all along; also that there is a greater chance for false positives after menopause. Putting you on hormones in order to test for cancer seems a bit ironical.

Prolapse-wise, I was symptomatic at the time of this test, but hadn't put a name to the problem. It was another couple years before things took a turn and sent me in search of prolapse information and solutions. I've never had a problem with really dry tissues so I can't say the PAP affected my developing prolapse, but will never know for sure. We do get occasional posts from prolapsed women after painful exams and PAPs, and all you can do is just get back on the horse, no one can manage your symptoms but you.

Please consider looking more into the WW work. Read Christine's articles on why kegels do more harm than good. Take a look at her hips work, too. - Surviving

Thanks Surviving60. I was also symptomatic when having the PAP exam, and just the action of attaching the speculum seemed to cause the pain and the subsequent worsening of symptoms. I don't think I was particularly dry either. In any case, I have read Christine's paper on kegel and agree. I also have the 'saving your hips' dvd and must start the exercise regime (have read the book). It's like you say - get back on the horse. Thanks.