Ballet

Body: 

I am new so be nice to me. :) I experienced uterine prolapse this past November, 2014.
Since that time I have done enormous amounts of research and was very happy to learn there is an alternative. An alternative that is "kinder", "gentler" to my body that the other options.

I purchase the book "The Whole Woman" and when I reached the exercise section I sat there puzzled!
THIS WAS BALLET!!!

So...I just dug my ballet shoes out of my closet and put myself into a ballet class. I am 66 - last time I danced was in my early-mid 30's. Yet, It is like riding a bike - the body remembers. Although I won't be on a stage or anything I absolutely love the workout.

My question - did I circumvent anything by jumping back into Ballet as opposed to doing those exercises?
Anyone have this same experience? Has anyone bypassed the exercises (which are fundamental ballet steps/positions) and find success by just doing ballet?

:)

Forum:

I see you have purchased the book! This is wonderful!
The exercises in the book are ballet like, but different in how you hold your body than in traditional ballet. The posture is completely different: the ballet you are doing probably has you sucking in your belly and tucking your tailbone.
Go back to the section in the book that explains whole woman posture page 125. This will give you a better idea of how you should really be holding yourself all the time, even during exercises.

So true, AG! I have taken ballet as an adult (both young, and older) and my instructors always told me to pull in my stomach and tuck my butt under. So if I were you, Agwedd, I would learn the posture and moves along with Christine, until you are really feeling that posture. Then, if your ballet teachers will let you dance with a nice lumbar curve and relaxed belly, great. Otherwise, don't do it, you are only perpetuating one of the main causes of prolapse in the first place. - Surviving