hiatus hernia

Body: 

Having been learning about this for the last week, all these forward-leaning postures are unfortunately aggravating one of my other celes at the other end - I also have a hiatus hernia. I suppose this means I need to do most of my inverted positions in the earlier part of the day while my stomach is still fairly empty - but I suspect that my lower celes need these positions most at the end of the day. Has any one else had this debate with themselves? My underlying gut motility problem affects my whole digestive tract from swallowing to anus. I am constantly also on the look out for dietary solutions but I am underweight so I need to keep putting the calories in.

Forum:

Hi Celeae - i know nothing about this condition.....I'm responding for two reasons: to keep the topic front and center for anyone to see who might have similar experience, and, to let you know that any of the exercises can be modified or skipped altogether if they cause a problem for you. I think there are a lot of things that are best done on an empty stomach for all of us. Firebreathing and nauli are good examples of this. Just remember that the exercises support the posture, and it is the on-going posture that you live and move in all throughout your day that is THE single most important part of this work. - Surviving

My mom has had a hiatal hernia along with acid reflux. I believe the hiatal hernia accurrs right at the top of the stomach connecting to the esophagus. The problem she had with it is that it kept that valve open and when she slept at night the stomach acids would flow up into her esophagus. She sleeps with an adjustable bed now after trying pillows and wedges with no success.
I agree with surviving, when doing the exercises, if you notice yourself becoming more symptomatic, modify or skip some of the exercises. The whole woman posture work is really the key here, so really pay attention to the details of posture as you go through your day.

Just want to bring your attention to this thread:

https://wholewoman.com/forum/node/6401

Looks like we forgot to use the Search box this time! Thanks Christine - Surviving

Ha!! That is awesome! Thank you Christine for bringing up that thread!

I did search for this but found nothing as I searched for "hiatus hernia"! This is very helpful, thank you Christine.

Yeah.....you have to watch your spelling and choice of terms, and be creative at times, and not too specific - or you will filter out the results you're looking for; this is true of any internet search. - Surviving