Heart disease and hysterectomy

Body: 

Well, February is "Heart Awareness Month" according to the American Heart Association. It's not even here yet, and I'm already disgusted at the media coverage. Hysterectomy is a HUGE risk factor for women's heart health, especially if the ovaries were removed (and often they will cease to function anyway). This is never discussed.

A well-respected local doctor, a cardiothoracic surgeon, writes a weekly health column in our newspaper. His most recent topic was women's risk for heart attack (focusing on "silent" heart attack). Not one mention of hysterectomy as a risk factor.

http://timesleader.com/features/628090/to-your-health-know-the-signs-of-...

I e-mailed him, but of course he did not respond. I realize his primary allegiance is to his fellow surgeons!! "You take her uterus......then send her over to me when her ticker starts to act up!" Am I being too cynical? - Surviving

I did not know this. My Mum wants a hysto because she has fibroids and adonema (not sure if that's correct) but she will bleed profusely for weeks at a time and become anemic. The only solutions offered to her have been a Mirena or hysto. She doesn't like hormones as they change her moods so feels hysto is the only option. Any one ever experienced this? I know hysto comes with many complications and don't want to see my mum suffer more.

This bit of information has got me questioning her choice even more. :-(

Thanks for reading